Chapter 13. Alexander

The doors of the old elevator swing open with a piercing screech on the tenth floor and we emerge from the metal box. Her building does not fail my imagination at all: it is just as shabby as it is outside.

Seeing it the first time - when I gave Sophie a lift - I thought that if it could, I would take this fragile girl away from here. I dread to imagine how many problems she faces every day due to old plumbing, annoying and loud neighbors, and her the long trip to and from work.

"Come in," Sophie says timidly, letting me through the open door ahead of her.

Surprisingly, the apartment looks fresh. The landlord obviously did his best: a major renovation, new appliances and furniture, restored parquet. It also smells clean. Just like the resident of this small studio herself.

The first time we met, I noticed that Sophie smelled insanely delicious. The scent of vanilla and berry followed her. At first, I thought it was perfume, but it turned out to be the fragrance of her skin. Her perfume only skillfully emphasized her aroma that blew my mind and stole my heart.

"Here, you can wash your hands," she points to the door to the right of the entrance.

Only now that I'm in the warmth and comfort of her apartment do I feel how completely exhausted I really am.

The business trip did not work out from the very first day. During the negotiations one of the branch managers categorically refused to provide premises for the filming of a new television show. I had to coax his married ass with trips to restaurants and strip clubs, and while he was drunk, get him to sign the contract I needed.

As I wash my hands, I feel something warm and soft rubbing against my leg. Lowering my eyes, I meet the gaze of golden cat eyes. The cat begins to purr and lays his muzzle on my foot.

"Oliver! Go away," Sophie tries to chase him away, but the cat gives her a lazy look and continues to use me as a pillow.

"I'm sorry, I'll take him away," she apologizes embarrassedly.

"Don't," I smile and bend down to take the cat in my arms. He, as if nothing had happened, calmly settles into my chest, and rubs his forehead against the collar of my sweater. I scratch the cat behind his ear. I have loved animals since childhood.

In the small village where I was born, stray cats constantly wandered onto my parents' property. Then we moved to the city because my father found another job, and pets were strictly forbidden to me.

I catch a startled look from Sophie, who looks at me like I'm an alien as I walk towards the dining table that is adorned with the bouquet of irises. The place of honor she has reserved for them makes me smile. I was sure Sophie would throw the flowers away.

"What's happened?" I grin as I sit down with my new friend on a chair.

I like to impress Sophie in all sorts of ways. Although she knows how to surprise no less than me. Especially when she runs away from restaurants. The last time, I stayed up for several nights, cursing her for jumping to conclusions, and myself for not discussing important points with Sophia in the first place.

"It's just that Oliver doesn't like strangers," she finally snaps out of her daze.

"So, I'm an exception. Aren't I, Baby?" I coo over the cat and stroke his head. My tenacious gaze does not hide the moment when Sophie starts at the affectionate nickname.

Her timidity and eternal embarrassment haunt me. When I met her in the hotel bar, I was convinced that she is a confident girl who knows what she wants. That's what attracted me to her: radiant femininity, flirtatious eyes, and interesting conversations about art.