Chapter 21

The "Rebels' had their spears pointed towards the group. "Do not hesitate to kill them. They are unforgivable monsters." Beyla had said.

(Y/N) held her sword in her dominant hand, on edge. Atreus and Freya drew their bows as Beyla began to speak. "As Queen of the Elves, I demand you let us pass. Otherwise, your fate will not end kindly." Her voice was grand, like a queen.

"We don't care if you're the queen!" one of the rebel Dark Elves hissed. 

Beyla's gripped her spear. "Fine then." She nodded to the group and a fight broke out. They were outnumbered by the rebels, but that didn't matter. A Rebel leaped at (Y/N), only to be caught in the air by a fire arrow, shot by Atreus. 

(Y/N) quickly plunged her sword into the Dark Elf's chest, a pale grey liquid splattering out of him. Gross. (Y/N) thought, as the Elf's body became lifeless. She pulled her sword out of his chest and selected another target. 

Beyla and Freya were holding their own, spear and bow in hand. Beyla impaled a rebel, carrying her on the end of her spear. She rammed the impaled rebel into another, killing them both.

(Y/N) was still getting used to her sword again. She dodged an attack by one of the Dark Elves, only to go into the direction of another. The second elf flew back into the air and pointed his spear in (Y/N)'s direction. A bright, crackling orb shot from it, landing by (Y/N)'s feet, fizzling.

(Y/N) barely had time to react, as it detonated almost instantly. Her view became white and blurry, there was a piercing ringing in her head. She gasped in discomfort, a hand clutching her head. She stumbled clumsily on her feet, frantically trying to make out what was in her vision.

She felt an arm wrap around her shoulders. "I've got you." she heard Atreus's voice say.  (Y/N) nodded slightly as the ringing died down, and her vision became clearer. She could see Beyla and Freya finishing off the few remaining rebels in front of her.

Her head turned slightly and she saw another Dark Elf in the edge of her vision. The Elf stumbled weakly towards her, fury in its eyes. (Y/N) raised her sword up and brought it down into the rebel's head, more of the pale grey liquid covering the blade of (Y/N)'s sword.

Its body fell to the ground with a 'thud'. (Y/N) looked back at Atreus before looking around. There were no more rebels left, except for their bodies, which soon disappeared from existence. Freya and Beyla made their way over to them.

"Are you two injured?" Freya asked, looking the two of them up and down.

"(Y/N) got hit by an energy blast." Atreus responded. Energy blast, that's what that was.

Freya turned to (Y/N). "How do you feel?"

(Y/N) patted the side of her head with her hand. "I'm fine. The ringing is gone." Freya nodded before looking at Beyla.

"Let's continue." the Dark Elf said. "If we keep going towards the light, we'll reach the temple. That's where Byggvir and I live now, as the leaders." She led the group, pointing towards the light for a few seconds. "It may look different to you, as the truce changed the state of almost everything in Alfheim."

"I have a question," Atreus began. Beyla hummed in curiosity. "One time I came here, there was a statue of an Elf 'before the division'. Since the Elves are working together now, are they changing back to how they used to look?"

"Not exactly. Although there have been some children whose parents are of different Elves, those offspring seem to resemble what you mean." Beyla explained. 

"Huh."

They travelled in silence for a moment before reaching a larger bridge, connecting the temple to land. Beneath was bright blue water, lily pads sprinkled across the surface. The light was much brighter up close.

There were a few Elves standing on the bridge, minding their own business. A few of them spotted Beyla and dipped their heads respectfully. "My queen." they would say. Once they crossed the bridge, there was a tall, translucent door; streaks of white light running through it. 

"I've seen this before. The light makes a barrier that only Light Elves can go through. Father had to use the Twilight Stone to break the source of the light, the light crystals." Atreus said to the group, pointing at a glowing, blue crystal, propped on the wall above the door.

"The Elves worked together to make a way so that anyone who carries an enchanted light crystal shard can pass through these doors." Beyla said, reaching into her pocket and revealing a crystal like the one above the door, but small enough to fit in a palm. 

"However, some Elves were granted the power to deactivate these doors, without needing a crystal. As Queen, I am one of them."  She placed her hand on the barrier, and after a few seconds, the door disappeared. 

Beyla allowed the group to go through the doorway before turning back to the door, performing the same motion that opened the door. The streaks of light returned and the barrier was reactivated.

"Impressive." Freya said lightly. "These are quite the improvements Beyla."

Beyla laughed a bit. "It wasn't just me; Byggvir and many of the Elves played key parts in getting Alfheim to where it is today." She began leading the group down a hall. There were many other halls branching to left and right, but they continued down the main hallway.

They soon reached a large main room. The floor was made of a shiny, solid material, giving off a faint gold hue. The ceiling went high above with many stringed lights hanging across from wall to wall. There were many more hallways branching out from this main room. Stairways climbed up the walls, leading to more halls.

"This is the Central Hall." Beyla said proudly. "All hallways lead back to here. It may seem like a lot of paths, but it's surprisingly easy to get used to." There were many Elves walking around and exchanging in conversation.

Atreus chuckled to himself. "Whoa." he breathed. (Y/N) was quite entranced by the amount of possible paths. 

At the centre of the room, there was another, larger, light door. Beyla motioned her hand. "Follow me." As they approached the door, Beyla held her hand up to it, allowing the others to pass through before closing it.

"This door is only accessible to me, Byggvir, and the Elves that we can trust with our lives. It leads to another area, only for those in charge." she explained as they walked up a staircase. At the top of the climb, there was a long room, with a feast table down the center of it. At the far end were two, fancier looking chairs, presumably for Beyla and Byggvir.

"I thought you didn't like grand things like this." Freya said to Beyla as they looked around this dining hall.

"The Elves insisted on it." Beyla sighed, placing a hand on the top of her chair. "How could I say no to them? They look up to us."

"So, do you use this hall for meetings and feasts?" Atreus asked curiously. 

Beyla nodded. "Those two only." She nodded over to a hall on the right of the room. "Our quarters are down that hall. It's where we live. When we aren't there, we're either here," She gestured to the dining hall. "Or out in the kingdom performing our duties."

(Y/N) noticed another Elf approaching from the quarters. It seemed to be a Light Elf, due to their light grey skin and pale blue eyes. 

"Beyla?" the Elf called out. "You brought guests?" The Light Elf walked into the dining hall, looking at the group. "Ah, Freya, Atreus. Welcome." he nodded to each of them. 

The Elf's eyes freaked (Y/N) out a bit. They were a solid color, no pupil or iris, just a cloudy pale blue. It looked unnatural, then again, (Y/N) was used to human eyes. The Light Elf's gaze rested on (Y/N). 

"Who's this?" His voice was calm, kind.

"I'm (Y/N), Atreus's girlfriend." She cringed slightly, the word still sounded strange to her. "Are you Byggvir?"

The Light Elf nodded. "Yes, I am. I see Beyla has mentioned me to you." Byggvir looked over at his wife teasingly. Beyla smirked slightly at him in return. 

"They have come to see how Alfheim is holding up due to the truce." Beyla explained to Byggvir. He blinked as his expression lit up.

"Is that so? In that case," He turned to Freya. "Come with me, I may have something you'd like to see." He turned back towards the quarters, leading them through yet another light door.