Dreams and Nightmares

Screams awoke Leah up from her sleep. Peering at the time to find it was 2 o'clock in the morning. Making her way to the room of origin. She gave a soft knock on the door. "Bucky, it's Leah. Can I come in?" she asks softly. Instead of a reply she hears the door unlock. Pushing the door open to find him sitting on the floor deep in thought. 

"You heard," Bucky mutters out still not acknowledging her. 

"I can hear everything across the universe," she says, "I wouldn't have come if I didn't think it was important." Kneeling down beside him and laying a hand on her shoulder. "It's also not to hear anything in this house." A small smirk appeared on his face for just a moment. However, it was gone as soon as it came. "I won't force you to talk about the nightmare but you can't stay on the floor forever." Grabbing him by the arm leading him back to his bed. "Get in and make room," she instructs. He raises an eyebrow at her actions. 

"I thought we were going to get drinks first before anything else," he jokes. 

"Get your mind out of the gutter, Barnes," she snarks. "I'm just going to help you sleep." Without any argument he climbs into bed with Leah following right after. Using her magic she changed the ceiling to look like the night sky. He was in awe of her abilities. "Thought it might be nice to sleep under the stars. But since we don't usually see stars in New York I brought them to you." 

"It's weird," Bucky admits. She had a feeling that he wasn't talking about her powers. 

"What's weird?" 

"You're here like actually here. Steve and I thought you had died like most of the people we knew in the 40's. And yet here you are alive, young, and not human. Your hair is also different."

"Yeah well I think I would have stood out with white hair," she says with a small smile. Slowly his guards come down allowing him to relax. 

"I think it looks good on you to be honest. So you just lived for years, I mean did you ever get bored?" Thinking about her answer for a moment. 

"There were moments when I thought about quitting. So I went to sleep for a couple of millennia only to wake up and pretend to be a new person." She lays back and Bucky follows suit. "It was usually the same song and dance until the 40s. I decided to stay a while."

"What made you stay?" 

"I never really had friends," she admits. "The friends I had on earth soon turned into myths. It's hard to keep friends when immortal." 

"But you stayed for Howard and Peggy." 

"They were the first friends I made in a long time. I also felt an obligation to find Steve and if need be give him a proper burial." 

"And now? Steve and I are alive, what's keeping you here now?" 

"It may surprise you but you mortals can be interesting from time to time. And life can sometimes become lonely." 

"Is there really nobody like you? Are you really the only one?" 

"In a sense, major cities sometimes had the ability to grow a subconscious. I call them my nieces and nephews as I was the first. But we all have our own functions so we are not in constant contact. So technically I'm still the only one of my kind."

"So you're really really old." She snorts at his comment.

"Yes but I never age."

"But you can die?"

"Yes I can die; however, I highly vote against it. If I die so might the universe." 

"You ever think about giving it all up? Maybe becoming human?"