First Trial Day

Leah was walking towards the courthouse dressed in a baby pink blouse, black pencil skirt, and nude pumps. She had changed her hair into a blond balayage that went slightly past her shoulders. Her eyes stayed their cool grey color. It wasn't much different from her usual look but still different. 

Walking through the courthouse to find Matt giving Bucky a pep talk. "Well you boys clean up nice," she jest. 

"Mikaela, what are you doing here?" Matt greets her. 

"Got hired by the Daily Bugle to cover the court case," she explains to him, "a girl gotta eat." 

"Where's Eddy?" 

"Somewhere around here," she shrugs. "We didn't come together." 

"Still running from the government?" he jokes.

"Gotta have a little excitement in life," she jokes back. 

"You are one strange gal," Bucky comments. 

"I have to keep everyone on their toes. Don't tell me you don't have a single funny bone in your body?" she teases him. He gives her a light smirk. 

"Are you always this friendly, Doll," Bucky tries to flirt with her. 

"That's Mikaela to you mister." Bucky's face falls a little. A flashback of her, unknown to him at the time, saying something similar. He doesn't understand why Leah is the only person he can remember all these years. No matter how many times Hydra erased his memories Leah still had a lingering presence in his mind. Of course he couldn't always fully remember her, sometimes it's only her name or her just her face. However, for some reason he can always remember her smile. "Anyway, I better get in there before everything gets started. See you there." With a wave she makes her way into the courtroom. 

"How did you meet her again?" Bucky questions Matt. 

"She came in to hire me as her personal lawyer," Matt admits. "She did it as a precaution cause she knew about the articles. Basically she was covering all her bases." Bucky nods in understanding. "Like I've said before she just takes some time getting used to. Let's get inside it's almost time to start." They walk inside the courthouse taking their seats.  The bailiff swore Bucky in before the judge entered. 

"The people vs James Buchanan Barnes," the bailiff announces. He hands the docket to the judge once he takes his seat. 

"Would the prosecution please explain to me what all these things that came across my desk?" the judge asked.

"Motions to suppress the files that were once under the control of Hydra. There is no way for certain that these files haven't been fabricated," the prosecutor argues. 

"These files have been validated," Matt argues back. "The basis of this case is that Sgt. Barnes was a prisoner of war who was brainwashed and used by Hydra. We're talking about punishing a man for something he had no control over and was against his will. Suppressing the Hydra files is the prosecution's way to hinder the proof that my client is the victim not the villain. If the prosecution is so confident that they can argue that my client was a willing participant counter evidence should be allowed." 

"Your honor-."

"I have to agree with Mr. Murdock. Prosecution's motion to suppress the files is denied. Move on Mr. Whister, we still have your other motions to get through, which are?" the judge says with a slight bored tone. 

"The prosecution would like to add Helmut Zemo and Mikaela Azure to the witness docket."

"Your honor," Matt interrupts. "Helmut Zemo is a man who bombed the United Nations and framed my client for it. I don't understand why the prosecution is naming him as a witness when all the information is already available. And two, Mikaela Azure is an investigative journalist who has no ties to this case whatsoever."