A breath comes out of my mouth. "I understand," I say, ending the conversation.

The pit in my stomach makes me feel nauseous. Since everyone knows I'm different, does that mean I'll be treated differently? I turn my head to look at Jaime and Kevin to see if they're still eyeing my every move. And Jaime is. Her eyes look me up and down with a face full of distaste. She brings Liam closer by grabbing his hand and pulling him near her hips. Kevin's too busy watching Red bumbling behind him to notice his wife's actions.

Why do I feel so out of place when the social stigma's gone? Being a Grub had its downs, but this feels different. I am different. Different than every single person here. I feel like there's now a target on my back. You've saved the human race, Ethan. Mr. Smith's previous words don't make me proud of myself. They make me fearful. If more people find out about me, I'll be put in a place where I won't be able to escape.

The tunnels are too quiet. I haven't heard a single voice, let alone a cricket chirp. We approach Gate 4, and we carefully tiptoe to its entrance. Jacobs is the first one to peek his head out and look outside. Then swiftly, he crosses a few feet to the other wall. His hand waves at us to come across, and we do. One by one. When it is my turn to cross, I look outside the gate. It's a graveyard. Dead bodies litter the ground. Pools of blood decorate the sandy landscape like jewels. I spot a few crickets still eating, and I push away the thought of it as I make it to the other side.

It wasn't just our gate that got attacked by the crickets. How many are out there? And why are they so huge?

We keep walking as quietly as we can through the tunnels. My nerves ease when we finally reach the tunnel entrance without seeing a cricket.

"We'll raid the Dining Hall," Jacobs points to me, Paige, Red, and Wellings. "while you go to your residence." Jacobs looks to Jamie. "Remember, no more than a minute or so inside."

"Got it," Jamie responds, pulling Liam toward the Hub.

We step over the fallen chainlink fence and look into the Hub for the first time since the riot. The slight makes me want to hurl. Just like outside, the Hub is a graveyard. Bodies lay scattered around the vast area, pools of blood collecting under some of them. With amble feet, I step around a body while holding my breath. I try telling myself that they're sleeping so I don't have to face the fact that the people I used to see daily are dead. I step over another one, but before I can put my foot on the floor, I see a familiar baseball cap next to the body's head. "Dally!" I kneel, placing my hand on top of Dally's back. Paige is next to me in seconds, and her ear goes down to his chest. "I can hear him breathing!" She says, her eyes locking with mine.

My hands grip Dally's t-shirt, and I start to shake him. "Dally! Wake up, please. I need you to wake up." I didn't notice I was crying until a tear fell onto his arm. Dally's clammy skin is pale. It was pale before, but I can tell he's white as a ghost now. His dark hair lays in knots on his face, which is pressed against the hard ground. I tug at his arm and roll him over. He's out cold. I start to shake him again. "Please," I whisper. "I can't make it without you."

Dally can't die. He just can't. He's the only one I've been able to talk to openly about anything. Anything. I need him with me when we leave the compound. I just do. He's like a brother to me. No, he is my brother. He's helped me so much these past six years, and I can't imagine losing him before he finally gets to see the outside and eats that damned steak he's been talking about for years.

Dally gasps, taking in a gulp of air as his eyes stutter open. He looks around the room, eyes squinting from the fluorescent lights, and grumbles a throaty moan. A hand reaches up to his head, and that's when I see the gash that goes from his hairline to his eyebrow. It's still bruised. I can see the skin turning a dark plum. Crusty blood coats his face and neck, and I try to wipe it off with the arm of my jacket, but Dally sucks in a hiss. "Ow," His voice almost cracks. "Please don't fucking do that."