What, When, Where, Why... And Who

It was hard to get ready to spend time with Grayson at Aunt Liv's apartment. She had all the necessary mirrors, makeup, and clothing options I could ever want. But her quiet stares from the kitchen—I just couldn't shake it. I never came right out and told her that I was going to spend the evening with Grayson, but there was no way she was that clueless.

"Uh..." Aunt Liv groaned. My face flushed. She knew. She knew and she was going to tell me that it was a no-go for tonight. I would have to cancel on Grayson, and he wouldn't understand, so he would forever be mad at me, and that would cause him to spiral, and then I would spiral in a mess of emotions I was ready for and—

"What?" I asked as casually as I could.

"That lipstick is going to clash with your shirt." I looked down. Aunt Liv was probably right. "Try the Honest Mauve." I picked up the shiny tube from a tray on Liv's coffee table. I swiped it across my lips and worked perfectly with my outfit—not that I was trying hard to impress anyone. I wasn't. I wore lipstick every single day. I just didn't make a big deal about it.

"Thanks. This looks great." I turned the corner into Aunt Liv's room and took stock in the full-length mirror hanging on the back of the door. I looked good, but I also looked like I was trying too hard. I knew that Grayson hadn't seen me much outside of my running shorts, so I was hoping he didn't get the wrong impression of me.

I walked back out to face a look on Liv's face I hadn't seen before. She looked exactly like my mom. And that was the look my mom would give me just before the inquisition. "What boring Mom lecture would you like? Sex? Drugs? Where to hide a spare twenty-dollar bill?"

"None of the above, thanks." I tried to move past her, but she wasn't having it.

"You know the rules. Who, what, when, where, and why." I knew my mom had a long talk about this stay prior, but I didn't realize she had drilled in Aunt Liv every rule I have ever had to follow.

"Really? You don't trust me?" I batted my eyelashes and put on the sweetest smile I could muster.

"Of course I do. But your mom doesn't really trust me, so let's both appease her."

"I'm just going to hang out downtown, maybe go see the play at that little theater, get some ice cream, you know. I'll be back here right at ten-thirty. And why... hmm..." I pretended to think about it, hoping that she wouldn't notice I skipped the "who" question that the beginning. "Because I think I deserve to have some fun in the middle of this very difficult project."

"Difficult?" Liv raised her eyebrow. Okay, so my part of it at the moment wasn't difficult, but I would have to write a report on my experience, along with preparing a presentation. That was almost too much to think about.

"Yes. Difficult. So can I go now?"

"I think you may have left out a detail or two."

I put my hands behind my back and rocked on my heels. "Nope, I don't think so."

"Who are you going with? And if you say what I think you're going to say, I don't know if I want to hear it."

I sighed. She wasn't going to let me out until I told her the truth. "I'm going to hang out with Grayson."

There was silence. She didn't give any indication that she was upset or concerned, but it had to be coming. "Okay." More silence.

"So, I can go."

"Ground rules." Liv walked over to the front door and held the doorknob, waiting to prevent me from leaving until all demands were met. "You will be back by ten-thirty. You will stay within the downtown radius, which is no farther than two blocks south of here and one block north. And I need receipts. If there is a moment where you don't feel safe, call me—no questions asked."

"Deal." I walked over to Liv and gave her a hug. But she didn't let go of the doorknob. She dug around in her pocket and pulled out a twenty-dollar bill. "Just in case you want to be the one to treat your date to ice cream." She opened the door, and I was free to have a great night with Grayson. I was just hoping it would turn out to be everything I dreamed it could be.