Lola, Actually

As soon as class was over, I made my way to the main office. Cori had to rush off to one of her accelerated classes, so I went in to make the appointment.

"Hi," I said, giving the receptionist my biggest smile possible. I didn't make it a habit to visit the office, but I knew that there were plenty of students in this school that practically lived here. Not because they were in trouble like all those movies would lead you to believe, but because they were professional suckups. They were practicing for the real world. Like Jenny Smithers. She was always reading morning announcements and helping to file things away. This day was no different. There she was, perfectly put together in a white button up and plaid skirt, as if the school had some sort of uniform.

"Hey, there. Lila, right?" Jenny said. The receptionist still hadn't looked up from her morning muffin, most likely courtesy of Central Boulevard Bakery and Jenny Smithers.

My smile dropped away. "Lola, actually. Jenna."

"Jenny," she corrected, completely clueless to my subtle jab. I crossed my arms. I wasn't going to let Princess Perfect get me in a bad mood. "What can I help you with?"
"Nothing. I'm here to make an appointment, that's all." I turned my attention back to the receptionist, but she had turned her back toward me.

"Not a problem at all." Jenny picked up a large, spiral-bound book. "Who do you need an appointment with?"

"Um, you're allowed to do that?"

Jenny rolled her eyes. "Of course. That's what I'm here for. This is my service learning hour." Getting school credit for free labor—that sounded fun.

"Okay then. I need an appointment with Mr. Peterson. Actually, Cori and I both."

"Would that be Corianna Charles or Cory Pazinski?" Cory Pazinski was a senior on the football team. Not the greatest player, but one of the biggest. His claim to fame was getting paid to punch himself in the face while drunk, or so the rumors would have us believe. There was no way I would be associated with Pazinski. Jenny knew that as well as anyone else in the school. She was just trying to get a rise out of me.

"Cori Charles." As if she didn't know.

"Hmm." Jenny flipped through two or three pages. "I can give you next Thursday during lunch. You have first lunch, right?" It was scary what this girl knew about everyone in the school.

"We can't wait that long. We have to talk to Mr. Peterson today."

"Oh, I don't know about that." Jenny dramatic flipped the page back to today's schedule. I tried to lean over the tall counter, but Jenny inched the book towards herself so I couldn't see a thing. "If you can wait until after school, you may be able to get fifteen minutes with Mr. Peterson, but I can't guarantee it." Jenny leaned in close. "Sometimes he takes off a few minutes early on Fridays." She smiled and put her finger to her lips. So what? Mr. Peterson cuts and runs to start the weekend. Who in this school hasn't done that at least once?

"Fine. We'll be here as soon as last period is over."

"Okay!" she wrote our names down in large, looping letters. With an asterisk.

The bell rang. My next class was algebra, so I knew I had to book it. The room was all the way in the back of the school. "Oh, the bell. You're going to be late."

"Yeah, I know. So, we're good?"

"I can give you a pass so you don't get in trouble." Jenny smiled, but I wasn't convinced she was trying to do me a favor. I glanced over at the receptionist. She was giving me the side-eye as muffin crumbs fell from the corners of her mouth. She turned away as Jenny pulled out the pad of hall passes. She filled it out and handed it to me. It read: IN OFFICE MAKING APPT. Jenny signed her name as the issuer of the pass, then underneath wrote (SORRY FOR THE HOLDUP!) along with a few hearts and stars. In glittery ink.

"Thanks." I rolled my eyes. As I walked down the hall, already empty from the second bell, I noticed that Jenny forgot to date the pass. I slipped it in my bag. I could take a tardy today. That pass would come in handy later.