Chapter 8: Hera

This chapter is dedicated to theargo1. You are just such an awesome friend! Like your hugs and jokes and everything we fangirl about together always make me happy whether I like it or not :) Your comments are the best and your always supporting me no matter what!

Asher's P.O.V

I loved seeing Echo so happy. Her smile made everything seem okay, and it made her seem okay. I couldn't even grasp the thought that a girl with such a tragic curse could have the most beautiful unused smile.

After I told her how I felt for her yesterday, she seemed more joyful. Her footsteps were lighter. She'd tend to skip at certain points along our path. I hadn't seen her looking down in sadness or deep thought for the past few days.

All along, the only thing she seemed to need was a friend. Well, maybe even more than a friend. She needed love, and I made sure I gave it to her.

"Hello Echo," a stern voice said from behind us.

I turned around, pulling Echo close just in case.

"Asher, I see you've ditched the quest I gave you," she smiled grimly. Hera.

"Hera, I ditched your quest due to the cruelty you have bestowed upon Echo."

She just smirked, her devious soul hidden within it. "You're a brave one, standing up to the queen of the gods. You do realize I have the power to punish you as well, right?"

I frowned, but my anger was about to topple out of me. "You can punish me! I. Don't. Care! I'll be punished with echo! I wouldn't stop loving her for the world!"

"Oh Asher," she sighed. "I already know you'd accept a curse for that....useless nymph, but alas, I'll give you an offer."

I cringed my teeth, "And what would that be?"

"You have disobeyed a Godess, and have committed the crime of standing up against my curse I have given to this curse-worthy girl, therefore you have entered a whirlwind of trouble. If you want Echo free of punishment, you must take my punishment unto you. Your life, for her freedom."

I felt a jabbing pain in my gut. "My life?"

Hera smiled, "Yes, your life. You've got guts to stand up to me, but you were already coming to find me anyways. You wanted me to lift the curse, but there is a huge price to pay for something like that."

I let my anger pour out. "YOU COWARDLY, CRUEL, UGLY CREATURE! I DONT CARE IF YOUR THE QUEEN OF THE GODS OR THE RULER OF THE UNIVERSE! YOUR SICK! YOUR STUPID! YOUR A JERK THAT CANT SEE BEYOND HER OWN DESIRE! ECHO NEVER DESERVED THIS, AND YOU WILL LIFT THE CURSE WITH MY LIFE OR WITHOUT!"

Suddenly, echo flew from my arms.

"Now, now, Asher, you better watch your mouth. Our offer has just become more serious than before."

I looked to Echo, whom was now in the arms of Hera.

"Now let me ask you again. Your life for her freedom, but not only that. Now it's a life for a life. I told you to control yourself around me, follow my orders. Now either you die, or the girl!"

Echo stared straight into my eyes; her head shaking. She didn't want me to die? She'd rather die? I took in a deep breath, exhaling through my mouth.

Then, I stared straight at Echo and said, "Fine."

She smiled, thinking I had made the decision she'd hoped, but her idea was wrong.

I looked down. "Echo's curse is lifted. She lives, I die."

I looked back up at her, tears slipping down her cheek. She began kicking her legs and arms, silently screaming. A tear formed in my right eye, overflowing onto my skin. I hated this! This shouldn't be happening. Not after I finally gave Echo the one thing she'd been asking for. I stood there watching Hera smile while wishing this could all be just a dream.

_______

(A/N) Ok. This story isn't over just so you know! Sorry about the cliffhanger!

Ur probably wondering, "Does he die? Does he live? Does she die? Does she live?" U will find out In The next update!!!

🔹Vote, Comment, Follow, Share🔹

-Spongey <3