Chapter 1: The Voice

This chapter is dedicated to -CreativeSparks- for all her awesome comments, amazing support, and great heart! You have been so kind to me and I love love love your stories!

She was alone. Every day she stood at the foot of the mountain holding the necklace in her hands, tempted to drop it and forget all the pain. It wasn't a gift from anyone, nor was it anything she cherished; but she treated as such. The necklace was in the shape of a heart, which was the one thing she desired. She had found it lying on the ground during one of her walks, and she held onto it, hoping that one day her real heart could be like the silver one strapped across her neck.

Many strangers had been passing through the mountain's forest trail in the past week, but each of them ignored her. The annoyed looks they gave her hinted that she was being a burden; only able to repeat their last words as they asked for directions. Her name was Echo, and she had such a heartbreaking curse which was given to her by Hera. It was given to her, because She would distract Hera from Zeus by talking constantly whilst he came down to visit the nymphs. For that, she was punished.

But after she was given the curse, and after her failed love affair with Narcissus, whom was cursed to only ever love himself, Echo moved on. Now she sits, thinking that no one will ever love her; that no one will ever care.

~~~~~~~

Echo's P.O.V

I heard leaves crunching. Someone is here, I thought. Hiding behind a rock, I peeked over the top. There was a boy with dark brown hair stepping his way through the the thorns.

"Ow!" He yelled.

The words forced from out of my mouth, "Ow!"

His head jerked up,"Who's there?"

"There," I replied.

Oh how I wished I could say the words I wanted. I stood up from behind the rock staring at him. His confused look made me feel bad.

"Who are you?" He asked

I looked at him pitifully,"Who are you?"

His head tilted, "I'm Asher."

I tried to hold back, but the words slipped out anyways.

"Asher."

He walked up to me confused, trying to figure out what was wrong with me I'm sure, so I stepped back.

He began talking again,"Ummm...Can you speak normally?"

"Speak normally."

He wouldn't stop looking at me. In fact, he didn't seem annoyed at all; more curious than anything. How am I supposed to tell him my name?, I thought. Grabbing a stone from off the trail, I began scratching my name into a large boulder.

"Is that your name, Echo?" He asked.

"Echo!" I replied, with a huge smile across my face.

He smiled back. I wanted him to stay with me, since he was the only one who actually tried to talk to me, but I couldn't ask him. My smile faded as I sat down onto the boulder and curled into a ball. A tears streamed down from my eyes as I looked up to Asher.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I began crying,"What's wrong?"

Asher gave me a sad look. "Why do you only repeat what I say?"

"Repeat what I say," I wept.

I felt like an animal in its cage. If only I could choose what to say, then he would understand. Slowly, he kneeled down in front of me.

"I'm on a quest for Hera."

"Hera!" I screamed angrily, shoving Asher out from in front of me.

Stunned from the push, he fell onto his back, and I curled back up into a ball. I didn't mean to push him, I was just so mad at Hera! Asher picked himself up.

"Do you not like Hera?" He asked.

"Not like Hera!" I yelled, hoping he understood.

Asher put a hand into his pack, and pulled out a long stick with a pointed end.

"Can you write why?

"Write why!" I said, and grabbed the stick from his hand.

I wondered what it was, observing its shape, size, and color. It was orange with a point, and had a pink bottom.

Asher dug around in his bag again, pulling out a white sheet.

"Here, this is all I have left."

"Have left," I repeated.

I began gracefully moving the stick in my hand, making swirls and lines of all sorts. I had never written with one of these colorful sticks, but I had learned letters from reading. I handed him back the stick, and he started reading from the page.

"You're cursed?" He asked.

I gave him a troubled look, "Cursed."

Asher pulled me up from the rock. "Have you been alone out here?" He questioned.

"Alone out here."

He grinned at me, and grabbed my hand.

"I'll help you, Echo. Even if I have to stop my quest for Hera."

"Quest for Hera," I smiled.

He stuffed the paper and pencil into his pack, and began walking down the path again.

Then he turned back and said, "Come with me!"

I jumped toward him.

"With me!" I screamed, laughing with joy, and ran to catch up with him.

_______

(A/N) I hope you liked the first chapter! I was inspired to write this story after reading the Percy Jackson Heroes of Olympus series (HoO) Please vote and comment! It helps a lot :)

🔹Vote, Comment, Follow, Share🔹

~Spongey <3