Ch. 3: Doctor Doctor

Start from the beginning

"And what are you looking at?" Nneka asked, looking around. She saw the dentist, but he was wearing a mask. She couldn't see anything that Natalie saw earlier.

They followed the nurse down the hall, just as Natalie received a timed text. She knew her best friend, so she had planned a text right beforehand.

Natalie waved her phone in the air revealing a message that said, urgent, text me now.

She ran out of there back to the waiting room, kinda hoping that the magazine she was reading would still be there. And it was, so was the doctor.

Natalie walked up to him, while he talked to the receptionist.

"Excuse me, excuse me, " she began. "Are you the doctor for Miss Andaman?"

"Yes, are you her friend?" His voice was deep, sweet and relaxing. It took Natalie by surprise.

"Um...yes."

"How can I help you?"

"Um...well, I just thought you might need a better diagnosis, cause she won't tell you the whole truth. She's embarrassed."

"Embarrassed," he asked.

Looking away, she answered him. "Well...she kinda broke it eating something strong, marble-like, you know."

He nodded nonchalantly, "Thanks for the heads up."

He smiled through the mask, walking back into the long hallway towards Nneka's room.

When he entered he barely looked at her. Instead, he looked over her chart and added small notes, particularly the marble.

"Alright Miss Andaman, the back of your teeth hurt?"

"Yes."

"Well lucky for you, that you got a quick appointment."

"Yeah..." she looked away.

He sat down beside her. "According to your friend, you tried to eat a marble."

"She said that?"

"Mmm hmm."

She scoffed, "Well, it wasn't all that entirely."

"She mentioned you were embarrassed, but don't worry. I meet a lot of people who have worse stories than you, trust me."

"Really," She was intrigued. "Like what?"

He sat in though, thinking, and Nneka glanced at his hands. The veins were popping out, and Nneka's eyes suddenly kept dragging themselves to his perfectly manicured, veining hands.

Dr. Cho moves towards a drawer and takes out a pair of gloves that cover his perfectly tan skin. He then moved back closer to her, asking her to tilt her head, and shining a light into her opened mouth.

"I'm going to feel around and see how it goes."

Nneka nodded, trying to watch as he conducted herself.

To be clear she wasn't afraid of the dentist, she was mostly worried about strangers. Yes, it took a while for her to get comfortable with Dr. Jenkins, but he took his time. Here Dr. Cho seemed to want this to be over as if he was rushing on her teeth. And that scared her a lot.

Dr. Cho searched through the back of her teeth on both sides and waited for her to wince in pain, showing which side he needed to focus on. And she did, the right side too.

He touched her tooth again, and she yelled in pain.

It was starting to be clear, laughing gas.

That was the only way to get her to calm down. He knew that especially after Natalie told him so.

He took the gloves off and stood up. "I'll be right back."

Nneka nodded, watching him leave. As soon as he shut the door, she immediately sat up and helped the side of her mouth.

As much as she yelled, she was holding in a lot more. She silently cried to herself, just as he reached the lobby.

Natalie now strolling through her phone stood up when he approached. "Hey, everything all right?"

"Will you be able to stay with her for a few more hours?"

"Yeah, why?"

"We're going to use laughing gas to subdue the pain."

"It's that bad?" Natalie asked.

The doctor shook his head, "I believe she's holding the pain in pretty good actually, but when I start she might not be able to."

Natalie nodded, understanding.

"The nurse will get you the paperwork as I start."

"Yeah of course."

He left.

As she was agreeing with him, he had already gone inside the room.

"I'm going to sedate you. Your guardian has already signed the papers."

"Oh god..." Nneka threw her head back, hurting it slightly. He chuckled lightly, only for him to hear thankfully because he caught himself and coughed to disguise it.

He placed the gas mask on her face, and slowly with every passing second she was falling asleep. 

----

I know it's late, but I was working on the webtoon version. If you're interested, the link is in the bio.  Also I'm not the greatest artist, I'm still working on keeping the characters the same. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. I will also be updating this during the weekends.

Comment, like, and share