13 | A Key to the City

Start from the beginning

With the key to the city in one hand and the airship's deed in the other, I turn to face the crowd. The weight of their expectations and the duke's disapproval no longer matter. I am Veda, the victor of the Gaslight Trials, and I will forge my own path.

As I accept the key to the city and the deed to the airship, my gaze catches L's amidst the crowd. In that moment, I see a flicker of tenderness and approval in his eyes, a reflection of his genuine happiness for my victory.

And me survival, ain't gonna lie.

The corners of his lips curl into a soft smile, a silent acknowledgment of the hard work and determination that led me to this moment. In his gaze, I find unwavering support and a love that transcends the constraints of society.

I know how hard it mus've been for 'im, Langdon Septimus, the Grand Duke's son, to stand as a beacon of encouragement for a mere Fumedge gal.

He is silently cheering me on as I embrace my triumph. And in that fleeting exchange of glances, I know that I am not alone in this journey. Together, we defy the expectations placed upon us.

The Duke hasn't missed the exchange between us and his lips tighten in a sneer. As if forcing 'imself to maintain a cheerful disposition, he clears his throat.

"But that's not all. To prove to my loyal citizens I am the man of my words, whose generosity knows no bounds. In addition to the key, Madam Veda Igglesden shall also receive a magnificent mansion in the very heart of Lighthaven."

The words hang in the air, filling me with a mix of astonishment and anticipation. The path ahead is paved with even greater possibilities, and I can't help but wonder what adventures await within the walls of my newfound home. A home where I can live with Pa. Where we'll never be cold, or hungry, or sick again.

"I stand before you all today, humbled and grateful for this incredible honor," I begin my speech, my voice carrying a tone of appreciation and enthusiasm. "Winning the Gaslight Trials has been a dream come true, and I cannot express how happy I am to have achieved this."

I pause for a moment, allowing the crowd's applause to fill the air. Deep down, however, a sense of disgust lingers within me. The Duke, standing beside me, is a man I've come to despise, his true nature hidden behind a facade of feckin aristocratic charm. But for the sake of Pa and the delicate balance of social politics L is always on about, I remain composed, me true feelings concealed.

"I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to the Duke," I continue, my words laced with a calculated warmth. "His support and guidance throughout the Trials have been invaluable, and I am honored to have his recognition."

As the crowd erupts into applause once again, I maintain me gracious smile, masking how fecked up I feel within. I know that in this world of steampunk grandeur and intricate machinations, I must play my part. I must master the game, even if it means enduring the company of a man I find repulsive.

But some words have to be said and I can't simply leave the stage without saying 'em.

"I am filled with gratitude, not only for my own victory but also to pay tribute to the fallen heroes who fought alongside me in the Trials. We remember Diana, the Bomb Queen, whose explosive prowess lit up the skies and left us in awe."

And almost lit up me arse, I think but don't say it. It is her death that' ll haunt me in the days to come.

"Hear, hear," someone says from the crowd, and slowly, as one, the Lighthaveners lift their fists up in the air, showing her respect.

Emboldened by their gesture, I push on. "And let us not forget the Chevalier and his loyal Metallohorse, their strength and valor unmatched. May their spirits soar high in the skies."