Chapter 3

I got out of Ms. Halls arms and went to my room. I lied down on my bed and cried myself to sleep.

When I woke up it was morning. I heard the phone ringing in the living room and was waiting for Ms. Halls to pick it up. She doesn't. "Is she that much of a deep sleeper?" I wonder.

I get up and go into the living room to see if anyone was in there to pick the phone up. There wasn't. I grumbled. I picked the phone up.

"Hello?"

No answer.

"Hello?"

No answer.

I hung the phone up and it starts ringing again. What now? I walk to Ms. Halls room and knock on the door. I open it a crack and see she's still sleeping. Mr. Halls is always early to go to work so he wasn't here. I walk in the room and shake her.

"Mom, the phone is ringing," I tell her while still shaking her. "I answered the first time, but there wasn't any answer. And now it's ringing again." Ms. Halls wakes up and looks at me.

"It's okay. I'll go get it," she says while getting up. She walks into the living room and picks the phone up.

"Hello?"

...

"Yes."

...

"Okay,"

..,

"Will do."

...

"She right here."

"Hana, it's for you," she tells me while handing me the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello sweetheart. This is your grandmother."

"My grandmother?"

"Yes sweetheart. I heard about your mother. I'm so sorry. How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine."

"That's good to hear. I've arranged for you to come live with me."

"Live with you?"

"Yes, dear, live with me. In Korea."

"KOREA?!?"

"Yes. I've had everything mailed to you."

I can't believe this. Korea? I have a life here, but I want to be by family members.

"I'll go."

Then I hung up. I looked up to everyone staring at me. "What?" I asked looking at them all.

"You want to go?" Rhydian asks me. He looks so hurt.

"It's my grandmother. I want to be by relatives at the moment. You can visit often if you want," I told him while walking to my room to pack my things.

While I was packing I saw a shadow. Someone was standing at the door. Rhydian. "I'm sorry. Okay? But I really want to go." No answer. I turn around. He was gone. He must be feeling really hurt.

After packing I go to the kitchen for dinner. The table was set as usual. "I'm gonna miss this," I thought. Then I smiled to myself. I sat down to eat.

"Oh Hana, you have a box by the door that was mailed to you," Rhydian told me. He looked annoyed now.

"Oh okay," I said and walked to the door. I found the box and went into the living room to open it. I sat on the couch and opened it.

Inside was a passport, ticket, and a book. "A book?" I thought. I examined it, but couldn't see anything familiar about it. It wasn't an English to Korean dictionary, but it must have been something for them to have sent it to me.

I go to my room to put the book in one of my suitcases and the passport and ticket in my purse. I went through the box again and found a letter:

Dear Hana,

I'm so sorry about what happened to your mother, but she called me before she left and told me that if anything had happened to you that I would be the one to care for you. I found it a big responsibility to take you in, but I agreed because she cared about you more than herself.

I have sent you your passport, ticket and a book. Your mother told me that if you were to ever come to me to give it to you. She has told me not to tell you what it is for, but for you to figure it out yourself. I hope you will come to stay with me.

I love you dearly,
Grandma

I read it over and over again. What is it about the book that she can't tell me?

I go back into the kitchen and sit at the table and am still thinking about the note. I didn't realize that the food was already out and everyone was eating. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I look to my right and see Rhydian.

"Are you okay?" he asks with a concerned face. I nod yes and get something to eat. They all talk about something while I just sit quietly and eat.

After dinner I go to my room and set my alarm for four in the morning. I checked to make sure I had everything I needed and got into my pajamas. Then I went to bed.

In the morning I woke up at two. I guess I couldn't sleep that well. I'll just write them a note and leave early. I get out of bed and get dressed in my usual baggy clothes and brush my hair and teeth. I grabbed my luggage and put it in the living room. I went to the kitchen and grabbed some paper and pencil and wrote them a note that I left early and that I took a taxi to the airport.

I went into the living room and grabbed my things. I went to the door and put my shoes on and then went out the door. The sun wasn't up yet, but it was still a beautiful morning. There was a soft, cool breeze. I started walking towards heavy traffic for a taxi. I caught a taxi and was heading to the airport.

At the airport I grabbed my things from the back of the taxi and headed in. Because of the traffic I now have fifteen minutes before the plane takes off. I go to check in and am allowed to get on the plane.

On the plane I find my seat and put headphones in. I realize how tired I am and drift off to sleep.

I wake up to the announcement of the plane's descent. I put my seatbelt on and put my iPod up. When I get off the plane I go to grab my luggage. Then I set off.