CHAPTER 46: WEDDING DRESS DISASTER

Start from the beginning

We are downstairs eating breakfast. Judy brought breakfast over for us. Donuts and milk. I said, "I'm going to take Amari out let him play in the backyard. I'm glad we stayed over so dad can watch him while we are both gone today."  Judy and Tom came with me.

Tom said, "Sydney I can tell you are worried. Please it's not a big deal about today." Judy said, "Tom's right honey. They know that you guys are having a long engagement. They just want to look at dresses and have you see what the fashion and styles are now. Just to see what you may like in the future."

I said, "this is just getting harder to do, to lie to the people we love."

Tom said, "I know it is. I'm still shocked my mind blown about last night. And I mean the gifts that we got Sydney. I told you last night I just don't feel right about accepting those gifts." I said, "I know same here, but what can we do Tom. I mean we tried to refuse the gifts, saying that we are having a long engagement, should wait until we set a date to get gifts, but they insisted."

Tom nodded.

I said, "I just wish today was over with. At least Jay insisted that Kris not come. That would have been terrible. Ruin my day even more."

Judy said, 'Sydney I know it is going to be a hard day, but just try on a few dresses, say you love that style and this is what you want when you do decide on a date you will come back and start looking. I'll try and see if I can get us quickly to lunch, so you aren't stuck trying on wedding dresses all day."

Tom said, 'Sydney I should get going, Jay wanted me to meet him on the golf course at 10." I said, "ok have a good day." He said, "I'm still a little nervous. I mean I don't usually golf ever, and Jay is inviting me with his friends. They all golf." I said, "Tom it doesn't matter if you are a golfer or not. Jay just wants to have the time with you." Tom said, "I know. I'm looking forward to it."

Tom said, "Sydney just try and not worry about today. I know it's going to be hard to try on wedding dresses for my mom and your aunt, but hopefully Judy can talk them into not having you try on many. Since we don't have a date." I nodded. He kissed my head. He said, "call me if you need me. If you need to vent or my mom or your aunt drive you crazy." I said, "thanks."

He said, "later Judy" He hugged her. He said, "Bye Amari. Be good."  Amari licked his face. He left.

Judy said, "Sydney, I know you are upset because you really wish you were marrying Tom."

I said, "yes. I just hope I don't cry all day, if I have to try on a lot of dresses. I would love to marry Tom. It just hurts to try on wedding dresses, and have my aunt and Toms' mom all excited, when I know that I will never ever buy a dress or get married. I mean what if I find one that I love, and I know I'll never get to marry Tom in it. Never get to buy it. It will be someone else's dress."

She hugged me. She said "I think you will marry Tom. I truly believe that. Don't give up that dream or that hope. I know you're afraid to hope it, afraid it will never happen. But I think it can. Who knows Sydney the longer you stay fake engaged and acting like a couple, you may turn into a real couple."

I said, "I wish. I try and not dwell on it."

She said, "you are the closest thing to a girlfriend Tom has had. If you can't get him to fall in love and marry you, then no girl ever will."

I said, "Judy thanks for everything, for going with me, for being my girlfriend. I don't know what I'd do without you." I hugged her.

She said, "i feel the same."

Tom's view:

I am nervous. I pull up to the fancy golf course. I have only played golf a few times back when I was a kid. I was honored when Jay asked me to join him, with his friends. But Jay is a great golfer Sydney said, and so are his friends. They win golf tournaments. We are at a fancy course, where professional golfers play and hang out in the club house. I'm feeling the pressure.