32

Sakiko was propped on both of yours and Namiko's shoulders, her face containing a sheen of sweat and wet mascara running down her cheeks. No matter what, her trembling wouldn't stop. You weren't sure what to do. Would it be a good idea to hand her back over to that ghastly woman once the talent show was over? That very woman was the cause of her panic, so you had a feeling the girl wouldn't appreciate seeing her for a while. After calling the cerulean haired male to the backstage, you vaguely explained to him the situation, avoiding the part about the affair.

Being the sweet person he was, he helped out, so here you were now -- outside, and away from the crowded auditorium. Stars twinkled in the dark skies, the temperature cooling from the day's events. One wane moon danced among the stars, casting a white light of solace. Trees rustled in the breeze, the sound of it soothing to the racetrack that was your heart. It was still such a stressful moment, but at least your surroundings no longer played a part in it.

Silently, you struggled along with Namiko, scanning the area for any possible spots to rest at. That was when an idea popped up into your head. Making eye contact with the boy, you nudged your head straight ahead. As if he could read your mind, he nodded and followed your lead.

Trailing your feet through cemented pavements, you listened to the roar of cars passing through the streets. In another world, you realized, the three of you could be friends. Friends who stayed out way too late, with one drunk and the other two being the scapegoat of having to bring them home. That was what it felt like almost, and it was something you longed for. It would certainly be better than this mess you found yourself in. The only reason why you weren't panicking yourself at this moment was because Sakiko's predicament was more dire. At least until this awful night was over, you had to keep a cool head. Namiko didn't deserve taking care of two panicked girls on a job he didn't sign up for in the first place.

There it was. Turning around the corner, you found the park -- the very same one you stumbled upon on the first day of school. The playground was lifeless, too dark and too lonely to be played on at this hour. You noticed a bench on the side and ushered the boy to help bring her to it. With that, the three of you sat down, your legs thanking you after being forced to carry weight.

"There's a vending machine over there. I'll go grab her a drink," he whispered, getting up again. Your eyes softened at his offer, heart swelling up with warmth. You couldn't have gotten this far without him and yet, he never failed to shock you with his kindness. His form grew smaller when he left your side, beelining to the distant light at the end.

You returned your attention to the luckily still conscious girl, who seemed to do better with the fresh air. Her silver irises were less glazed over than a moment ago and she appeared to be more-so in the present. Fresh tears leaked out, running beautifully down her face, but it was as if she was crying for another reason. "I'm so sorry [Y/N]," she gasped, covering her face with her hands. "I'm such a wreck. You should've just left me there."

Hesitantly setting a hand on her hair, you raised a brow when you felt how soft it was. Stroking it to calm her jittery nerves down even more, you shook your head. "None of this is your fault. And I would never leave you there alone. That would be plain evil of me."

She smiled bitterly, raising her head. "That's what anyone else would've done." You felt a pang in your chest; she wasn't wrong there. If anyone else had seen her there, they probably would've exposed it to the student population, their jealousy for the perfect girl finally at ease once seeing her downfall. She sighed, snapping you out of your daunting thoughts. "I should probably tell you what I saw that led us here. It's only fair."

"I already know what you saw," you said. Her eyes widened in bewilderment, blinking in confusion. "I need to tell you something. That man your mother was was caught kissing with -- that's my father."