He nodded grimly, "I would hate to be wandering the forests alone these days."

He leaned closer and whispered, "The queen's evil seems to have increased the past few months."

I shivered as his wife smacked him, "Don't frighten the girl, Marcum."

She smiled at me and offered me an apple, "Take heed of his words, and take this to comfort yourself."

I accepted it and offered a weak smile as I turned to keep going. I had left Adelia talking to her friends at the meat skewer stand, so I continued alone, trying to get through the whole festival before leaving.

I continued down the street of vendors until I arrived at a tent. It was simple and white with no signifiers or indication of what was inside. I looked around and noticed everyone ignoring it. Skeptically, I glanced back to spot Adelia who was still chatting up with another group of girls and boys our age. Then I looked back at the shiny tent again. It was as if they couldn't see it...

I approached it, my curiosity peaking against all common sense. I smiled at the rush of warmth within me and that overwhelming calm fortified. No matter what I did, I couldn't help but feel like I was being drawn to this tent. Like a child, I listened to the force calling to me and pushed through the front flaps. Immediately, my eyes strained, and I had to squint to see. There was a brilliant light with no particular source flooding the space.

I rubbed my eyes as they adjusted and registered the simple table before me. A white tablecloth coated it but nothing laid on it. I frowned as I reached down to touch it. It seemed to vibrate with energy... life. Then the sounds of pages turning in a book filled the room, and a breeze swirled around me.

My heart raced as I snapped my head up, and a clothed figure stood before me. Wrapped in white cloth as pure as light, stood what looked like a tall person. I couldn't see their face, but I knew that I wouldn't be harmed. Still my heart hammered in my chest.

"I've heard your prayers, little one."

All the breath rushed out of my lungs at the disembodied voice.

I felt lightheaded, "What?"

My voice sounded choked as if I couldn't breathe.

"You listened to my messenger with wisdom. I will use that wisdom now." The voice was firm but warm. "You must help the oracle when the time comes. You will cross into enemy territory, and you will see many things. Do not be afraid. You will not die."

I barley registered the words as the amazing energy in the room kept increasing. It was like a rush of wind knocking the breath out of me with its force. It became so overwhelming until I could only give in to my syncope.

When I came to, I could slowly hear the sounds of drums getting louder and louder. It took me a second to realize that those were the same drums used to alert the kingdom of invaders.

The panic of the people hit me full force as vendors and citizens began scattering, recognizing the drums that warned us of a threat. No matter how much I wanted to get up and run like them, I was still too dizzy to get up safely.

A hand gripped my forearm and yanked me up anyway.

"Roselena, we have to run! Get up!" I recognized the voice as Bellfire. I staggered as I gained my footing and almost tripped again as he tugged me forward.

His pulling me along sobered me up as I began to pick up the pace even with my residual nausea, "What about Adelia?"

He was out of breath, "I saw h-her by the fruit stand looking for you... She said she would follow as soon as she found you."

I hesitated and pulled against him, "Wait, I have to go back for her–"

"There's no time! Adelia is a smart girl, she'll figure it out."

He pulled me along.

Of all the people I expected to be fleeing with, Bellfire was the last one on my mind. Especially since I rejected him not even an hour ago.

We made it to the forest lines, and I hesitated, "Shouldn't we be running away from danger?"

He sighed, "They'll come from the east. Our best bet is running to the west."

What we didn't know was that we were surrounded in all directions.

He pulled me into the dark forest as I heard screams behind us.

"Resist and die!" They yelled.

My heart dropped as I tried to look back, but Bellfire tugged on my arm, "Don't look."

I nodded and followed him obediently.

We couldn't see a thing, but as soon as our eyes adjusted, and the sound of carnage and torture receded, we slowed to a fast walk.

"What are we going to do, Bellfire? We can't go back. What if our families die?" I struggled to breathe as I spoke, pressing a hand to my side.

Bellfire kept marching forward relentlessly, "Don't think about it and focus on putting distance between us and them."

I nodded and we were fine for a few moments until the sound of hooves approaching filled our ears. We looked at each other and he hissed, "Split up. Hide and if you have to, run as fast as you can."

I nodded, and we both went out separate ways. I ran as quietly as I could before I came across a large tree trunk. I licked my lips, tracing my hands around it and using the silence to say a prayer.

I whispered quietly, "God of anything, please help me get out of this alive. If you let me live, I'll even marry a toad if you ask me to..."

Fear hammered in my chest as I hugged close to the tree trunk and repeated my prayer like a mad man. That psychotic, old man was right. Every word he uttered was right, and I was kicking myself for not having listened sooner.

My hands became tingly from the adrenaline and fear pumping through my body as the sound of armor and horses galloping grew even louder.

Their voices were loud in the distance as they shouted, "Catch him!"

I slapped my hand over my mouth to stop the cry from leaving my mouth. Bellfire!

Then the sounds drew near to me. They weren't the ones chasing Bellfire, I realized. They were coming closer toward me. I cried out involuntarily as I felt the urge to run and take off from behind the tree.

"Commander, look!" A soldier shouted. They saw me. Perhaps, I should've stayed hidden. Maybe then I wouldn't have been seen.

I tried to run faster, but to no avail, the sounds of a horse galloping only grew closer. It seemed I would become easy prey tonight. Even so, I didn't dare glance behind me. I made a sharp right turn and began to try and confuse my pursuer, weaving in and out of the trees and shrubs around me.

Then my face met the ground, and I could almost taste the soil. I was about to die and the only thing I had ever kissed was the dirt on the ground. How fitting.

My dress was surely soiled, and all I could do was crawl behind a tree and push myself onto my feet. My right ankle pulsed angrily, which meant I couldn't even run well if I tried. I was done for.

The horse stopped its leisurely gallop and whoever rode him swung off of the horse. His armor clanked and clinked, scraping against itself as he approached me where I was. Then silence. Tears rolled down my face. Twenty-two years, and all I ever did was print newspapers.

"Come out, little rabbit." The voice was deep and menacing, and I would've soiled myself right there if it weren't for the calm voice in my head.

Do not be afraid.

Even so, I tried to run again, limping quickly, but  the swift footsteps behind me were too fast. The man was quick to snatch me up and cage me within their arms against a tree trunk.

I couldn't see very well, but I could see what little moonlight that filtered through the trees and foliage reflect off of pale skin. The outline of the right side of his face was faint but visible. I kind of wished I couldn't see him now that I registered the crazed look in his eye.

"Found you."