twenty-two

MESS IT UP
ACT TWENTY-TWO! - ' everything '
date - 09 / 08 / 2023

DAISY TOSSED IN HER floral patterned duvet, having flipped over at least six times in the past half hour

DAISY TOSSED IN HER floral patterned duvet, having flipped over at least six times in the past half hour. nothing she did was able to lull her to sleep, the soft sounds of rain pattering outside or of june purring beside her seeming like her guardian angels fruitless attempts to ward her away from what was so obviously going to break her.

it was half past one in the morning, and gracie's EP had been released at twelve. daisy had shut her phone off at eleven, but everytime she tried to push those thoughts from her mind, her curiosity would get the better of her and she would find herself reaching subconsciously to her side table to check the device.

after a final glance at her bedside table, she squeezed her eyes shut, blinking hard as she opened them again. a defeated sigh fell past her lips, staring up at her panelled ceiling. she knew exactly which song she was going to hurt her the most, and that was love song. her mind whirled, not knowing if it was going to be about her or, god forbid, someone new. the thought of that itself made her feel like she was going to be sick, despite knowing it was her who got them into this predicament in the first place.

she leaned over, careful not to disturb june who curled deeper into her, a small ball of warmth to her otherwise frigid body. it was a quirk that tended to happen when she got nervous, she would get cold. that's how gracie was always able to know if she was lying about being nervous, leaning forward and placing a gentle palm to her forehead. she would press an affectionate kiss to her forehead, before placing daisy's head in her hands, forcing her to make eye contact, and asking her again what was bothering her. daisy would tell her after that, never being able to look directly into gracie's eyes and not spill everything that kept her up at night.

she powered her phone back on, seeing a few texts from both rosie and august. she decided to ignore them both, seeing as they were sent just before and then again just after midnight, and most likely had something to do with her staying far away from the EP.

she maneuvered her way to spotify, her stomach churning as her nerves sparked up again. she had never unfollowed gracie on spotify. she's was (and still considers herself) her biggest fan, so there never was a reason to. as soon as spotify loaded, a popup polaroid of gracie (which she had taken) appeared on her screen, with text beneath it telling her 'an artist you follow has just released new music!'. she narrowed her eyes, the overwhelming feeling even spotify was against her flooding her veins.

she clicked the notification, which lead her to the EP. her finger hovered over the first song, titled 'last kiss'. she tightened her lips until they formed a thin line, debating once again whether to press play. her heart was beating erratically in her chest, the butterflies in her stomach beginning to just feel like someone was throwing rocks around her organs, weighing her body down into the mattress.