twenty-one

MESS IT UP
ACT TWENTY-ONE! - ' treacherous '
date - 09 / 03 / 2023

IT HAD BEEN A LONG, treacherous six months with no contact between daisy and gracie

IT HAD BEEN A LONG, treacherous six months with no contact between daisy and gracie. gracie's sheets had become her safe haven, her bed swallowing her up and beginning to fit her body like a worn-in pair of shoes. if it wasn't for her friends unannounced visits, food would never come anywhere near her lips. she stopped eating, drinking, taking care of herself all together. she looked as drained as she felt, and despite sleeping unprecedented hours her eye bags remained prominent and the shadows that slithered up her cheekbones posted a stark reminder of her lacking appetite. it was no help that it was some of the busiest months of her life, tour just beginning and her life moving at a speed she deemed incapable of keeping up with. despite her managers efforts to be incredibly supportive and nurturing, she wasn't able to let gracie throw away her entire career to rot in her bed.

however, she would still cancel shows with no explanation, and break down in the middle of songs. she got a tremendous amount of support from other artists and fans alike after a specific video went viral on social media of her singing the blue, only getting to the line 'i think you're everything i've wanted' before her voice hitches, being unable to continue. she buries her head in her palm, moving the microphone away so nobody could hear her quivering breaths, the crowd remaining a deathly quiet.

"i'm so sorry, i can't." her voice is shaky when she brings the mic back to her lips, and someone in the crowd screams 'i love you gracie'. she wipes her tears again, and inhales an influx of air, sighing it out. "oh, god," she pauses. "thank you guys, so, so much. are you okay if i don't sing the blue tonight? i'll take a suggestion instead." her voice still wavered, but she regained her composure to the best of her ability. she felt her eyes drifting towards the vip mezzanine, some kind of naive hopefulness telling her she would meet the sea-blue eyes she fell in love with all those years ago, but they were never there.

the blue magically disappeared from the setlist after that night, much to the dismay of many fans.

on a separate occasion, during a pre-concert q&a session, her body had a visceral reaction to a female voice calling out the word 'teddy'. she nearly broke her neck just to be met with a stuffed teddy bear, her stomach churning as she gave the most genuine smile she could, her fingertips wrapping around the soft fur of the bear. she hugged it tightly to her chest and let out a soft exhale, tears beginning to pool in her eyes. "are you okay?" the words were mouthed to her by a teenage girl who was standing at the front of the barricade, her eyebrows furrowed with concern. gracie gave her a tight lipped smile, nodding quickly. "don't worry about me, baby." she mouthed back, the girl blowing her a kiss which caused a genuine smile, gracie mirroring the motion back at her. it seemed the only time she felt happy was when interacting with her fans, even though it tended to be the most daunting and stressful moments, which dulled the actual brief euphoria that was forgetting daisy's existence.