Chapter 14: Is it all over?

Sonic suddenly shot up, trembling, gasping and breathing so heavily to the point where he was hyperventilating. The hedgehog was covered in cold sweat as his eyes were nearly double in size. His pupils had shrunken to top off the unmistakable look of fear on his face.

Sonic rapidly darted his head around and discovered that he was sitting in his hammock, inside of his home. It was dark outside as the moonlight shone through the window and the waves crashed calmly against the shore. Sonic also saw that his friends were standing right next to him. Concern was written all over their faces.

"GUYS! YOU'RE ALIVE!" Sonic shouted in joy as he pulled everyone into a super tight group hug.

"Sonic?" Amy began.

Sonic suddenly opened his eyes in realisation.

"Oh, uh...I'll be right back." Sonic said as he suddenly dashed out of his shack.

===

Sonic ran in the darkness of the night and down the coastline. He kept running until he reached a large boulder.

'This is where we watched the meteor shower.' Sonic smiled.

He sat on the rock and gazed at the sea, which sparkled in the moonlight, along with the stars that shone in the night sky. Sonic brought his knees up to his chest as he hugged them slightly, his gaze fixed on the sea.

"Sonic?" Came a voice, snapping Sonic back into reality.

"Oh. Hey, Tails."

The fox sat on the boulder next to his best friend.

"What's wrong, Sonic?"

"N-Nothing. I'm fine, buddy." Sonic faked a smile.

"You're not fine. You didn't wake up for two days. When we went to check on you, you were tossing and turning like crazy. You were clutching your head, you were even screaming and crying, which isn't like you at all!" Tails worryingly explained.

Sonic gave a sigh of defeat.

"Fine, you got me. I had a really bad nightmare about someone, or something named Exe. He took control of me, turning me into Sonic.Exe. Then, he destroyed every island. He k-killed everyone, including Amy, Knuckles and Sticks. Fortunately, you, Shadow and Silver were still alive, but..." Sonic trailed off as the fox gave him a sad look.

"I-It felt so real. I thought I had lost everyone for good..." Sonic hugged his knees tighter.

Tails pulled his best friend into a hug.

"Look on the bright side: everyone is here and nothing is destroyed. It was only a dream." Tails softly explained.

"T-Thanks, Tails."

Tails and Sonic hugged for a few minutes before Sonic broke the embrace.

"Hey, Tails. Let's just keep this between you and me for now." Sonic said.

"Okay, but why?" Tails questioned.

"I don't want to make the others worry. Besides, if Amy finds out, she won't leave me alone." Sonic replied.

Tails nodded before checking his communicator.

"It's two in the morning. Would you like to sleep at my place?" Tails asked.

Sonic nodded in response.

"Thanks, Tails."

===

Morning arrived at Seaside Island. The sun shone brightly over the island as birds sang happily in the distance.

Tails woke up with a long yawn, and he immediately saw Sonic sat on the sofa, messing around with his communicator.