The day ended quickly and it was six in the evening when my husband came to pick me up. I said goodbye to my family and settled next to Shrawan in the car.

Every eye was filled with tears, after a heartbreaking union with my family. The life that I dreamt of a few days ago is now shattered. He is nothing like I had imagined. My wish, my desire, and my consent mean nothing to him. On our first night, he raped me. I tried to protect myself but he destroyed my dignity, in no time. The pain was nothing compared to the embarrassment I felt that night. I wanted to devour my life for him but he is not worth it.

How can a married woman be raped by her husband? Marriage is consent... Vijaya don't you dare to come back to this house after fighting with your family. That is your home now... How can be this my home? When my husband... What should I do now? My mind is messed up.

"How was your day?" Shrawan asked me. I just nodded my head to his question. He started the car and when we were about to reach his house, he pulled the brake. "I'm sorry," he said and grabbed my hand. I drew my hand and kept staring at him. "I was drunk... Nothing in this world can explain whatever I had done. I wronged you and you have every right to be angry. I just want to say that I'm sorry... I'm in no place to seek forgiveness from you. I'm ready to repent. I'll do whatever you say and I promise this will never happen again in the future."

I kept staring at him trying to figure out what was going on in his mind but it was of no use. His eyes were impossible to read. Maybe, he is guilt-ridden, I thought, and decided to give him one more chance because I had no other option. He hugged me when I responded positively. "I'll make it up for you," he said and wiped the tears from both of our eyes.

He started the engine. Soon we reached his house where people were waiting to meet with the MLA and congratulate him on his son's wedding. The moment we came out of the car, some cameras flashed on our faces. Shrawan smiled and took my hand in his hand and posed for the media. He later joined hands and said namaste and came inside the house and I followed him.

"Why do media people stick their noses everywhere? I am tired of smiling at them," he complained and went to our room.

"Vijaya come here," I noticed my mother-in-law called her so I went to greet her. She asked how my parents were. Am I happy here? She appeared very genuine.

The family had dinner together. Deendayal Ji had to attend a party meeting at CM's residence in Jaipur yesterday and my mother-in-law was also going somewhere. It was not to my liking, I never wanted to be alone with him.

With shivering hands, I opened the door of his room. He noticed me when I entered the room. He kept staring at me and I tried to make the situation less awkward by ignoring his glares. My heart is aching even after he expresses regret. I swallowed my pride and shared the same bed with him again. I settled on the opposite side of the bed. My back was facing Shrawan and I tightly shut my eyes hoping he'll not touch me.

"Are you tired?" He asked and I nodded. "Turn around," he demanded and I did as he pleased. He got up and started giving me a massage. I tried to oppose but he insisted and continued. I fell asleep.

The next morning, I got up feeling a hand wrapped around my belly. I kept observing his sleeping figure. I wanted to push him but I had no guts. He opened his eyes and caught me off guard. I tried to leave the bed but he pulled me closer. He kissed my forehead and wished me good morning.

"I should get going," I said and uncaged myself from his arms.

I was aware that everything will change in my life after the wedding but this change is way too sudden. I lost hope as my mother said that I had to face this myself, "Time will heal everything, Vijaya, give him some time," she said. How can she say this to her only daughter? "Marriage is consent," her words are still revolving in my mind.