𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

3rd ツ

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

as halloween passed, and november came to existence, harley finally had a chance at feeling like she had adjusted to school. football was over, and now all charles had to worry about was college.

college, college, and college. though ironically, that was the last thing he cared for.

he wasn't in 3rd period earlier, but now, the last period of the day he strolled in, wiping the side of his mouth.

his black eye was almost fully healed, but he still wore a hat like he did at the carnival two weeks ago.

he quietly walked over to his desk, sitting down right beside harley - removing his headphones and placing his backpack down.

he immediately put his head down, and as ms. hughes announced the partner work, he sighed.

it began to get colder, and maybe that's why he seemed so depressed, people in newpoint didn't really like the cold.

harley tapped her pencil against the table awkwardly, she began dressing more accordingly to the weather, thankfully. her and charles lennon haven't really spoken that much since e the carnival. he offered his help, but she never reached out, because why would she?

and she figured that was fine, but to him it just felt like she was resenting him, like she wanted nothing to do with him still - and even though he was going steady with ronnie for a few months now, it got to him.

and he didn't know why.

"alright." harley began, taking the sheet of paper and setting it between them both. "i'll do the work and write your name on it. per usual." she yawned, starting on the worksheet.

charles had snatched it from her, taking his own pencil to it. "no."

harley watched as he struggled to start on the paper, his cheeks turning red and he then glanced to her after a few minutes.

it was quiet between them, like usual, but now it felt different. he stared directly at her, handing the sheet back and harley took it. the class was full of conversation between everyone but themselves.

class ended, and without a word, harley turned the sheet in and left.

and sadly, the days continued on like that. harley continued visiting frost street, her eyes studying the exact spot the picture was taken.

her days, were very much different from charles'. he juggled college stuff, school, and ronnie but none of that mattered, because recently he had cared more for harley's validation than any school, his father, or anyone else.

so the friday before thanksgiving break, they sat in a class together like always, and his foot anxiously moved up and down until he turned, whispering to her as ms. hughes gave her lecture.

"you never reached out."

"i never needed to." harley spoke, after some time of course. she looked over and charles scoffed, he wasn't wearing a hat today, his hair was messy but just the right amount, and his eye had been healed for some time now.

"you just want nothing to do with me, huh?" he spoke, shaking his head, and he now looked away from her. harley took this chance to look at him now, and she carefully studied him.

"what do you care? don't you have a girlfriend to worry about?" harley continued to stare at him, as he pretended like he was listening to ms. hughes.

though now, hearing her remark, he turned to her and she broke eye contact within a second, turning away again - as if they were taking turns, "who the fuck says i think about you like that?"

"definitely not me." harley enlightened him, and from there he shut his mouth.

"just trying to remind you that you have a beautiful soul that accompanies you every day at school." she sarcastically went on, and charles dug his head into his hands.

"oh my god, shut up." he raised his voice, looking at harley as everyone turned to them. harley glared right back at him and it wasn't until ms. hughes spoke up that they broke this staring contest.

"will you two step outside? i'm getting tired of listening to you argue while i'm trying to make important points." she pointed to the door, and immediately they both grabbed their bags, leaving the classroom.

harley walked to the front of the school, and charles followed behind. "can i just say something?" he called out, and harley turned, now looking at him as she awaited whatever stupid thing would leave his mouth.

the minute he opened his mouth to say anything, the bell rang - and people began to flood the hallways. harley stood waiting and he would've loved to say exactly what he felt. but that was never an option.

"i just want to help." he spoke, softly now and harley looked around, catching sight of ronnie leaving her class.

she watched him now, he stood, holding his backpack firmly and she sighed. he stared down at her, almost intently and he waited for her to say anything. "maybe you can just get me into the football room, i know he left some stuff in his locker."

charles nodded, "tonight?" he asked bluntly, and harley nodded quietly before making eye contact with ronnie, and leaving.

ronnie clung onto his arm the second she could, and stared up at him as he looked from harley to her. "why are you talking to her?" she asked, searching his eyes and he grew quiet for a few seconds.

"working on a project."

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

not proofread