Part Fourty-Five: Return to Base

Start from the beginning

Heading toward the residential/living area of the base, I stop at my door which is directly across from Ghost's.

"Headed to bed?" I ask him.

"Not quite," he hums.

"Can I invade your space, then?" I raise my brows playfully, trying to lighten his mood.

He lets out a deep sigh, rejecting my attempt. "Not if it's to talk about Shepherd."

Damn.

"Fine. Fine." I throw my hands up, conceding, and enter his private quarters.

It's interesting to see Ghost operate in a "typical" way. He enters his quarters and the first thing he does is start putting dishes away. Not something you'd expect to see from a renowned war criminal.

"Well?" he asks me without turning to face me, continuing to put the dishes away.

"What?" I chuckle. "I can't just want to spend time with you?"

"You can, but we both know that's not why you're here," Ghost deadpans.

I let out a deep sigh.

I thought he didn't want to talk about Shepherd...

"Price says we leave for Chicago in two days," I say cautiously.

"Mhm." Ghost continues his work in the kitchen.

"You're sure you want to go?" I ask him.

"I'm a Task Force member. That's my duty," he deadpans.

"Price said we can skip out on this one."

"No," he says firmly, coldly. He stops putting the dishes away, resting his hands on either side of the sink.

"Why?" I ask, sounding frustrated.

"Because I said so," he barks.

"Seriously?" I scoff, annoyed. "You don't need to be the one to stop Shepherd."

"You don't understand," Ghost hisses, still not facing me.

"Then enlighten me," I say tightly.

"I don't take betrayal lightly and Shepherd's betrayal threatens the well-being of my team." He finally turns to face me.

"Of the people you care about..." I confront him.

"Of my team." He raises his voice, enunciating his words.

"Yeah, your team, also known as the people you care about." I stand my ground.

"You done?" He snaps at me.

"I get it, Ghost. You don't want to lose any more people..."

He stays silent, his eyes burning into my flesh.

"...But don't let your fear and hatred push you into taking unnecessary risks that jeopardize your well-being. You're still somewhat recovering from your wounds in Iran," I say with genuine concern, hoping he catches on to that.

"I'm the Lieutenant. You're the Sergeant. You follow my orders, not the other way around," he says sternly, and angrily, leaving no room for argument.

Asshole.

So much for being partners, friends, lovers...

"Yes, sir." I change my tone accordingly to fit the role he so desperately wants me to take.

"Breanna..." he sighs. "I'm not-"

I cut him off.

"It's fine, Lieutenant," I deadpan, trying not to show my upsetness as it'll only make him feel worse. But I still end up saying curtly, "Rest up."

And with this, I take my leave from his quarters and enter mine.

For all the pain he's bestowed upon the Task Force, upon Simon, I'll make Shepherd pay.