Chapter 1 Part 2 Dream Like a Team

I even forgot that I had chess practice after school, one of my favorite things to do daily, but one detention session occupied my mind.

A normal routine after school that comprises getting home as quickly as possible, and getting money to go buy bread so that we can all eat. All my cousins went to my grandma's house after school. That was mandatory, as she was strict. We would all go together to buy bread, as this was their only opportunity to leave the house without getting a beating. For this reason, it always felt like an adventure and learning something new along the way.

Upon returning from the shop, we would eat, do homework, and all sleep together like a team.

Sometimes after our nap, we would have time to watch television, but I would always notice that some members of the team had left with their parents. This is my permanent residence as they left me to stay with my grandmother. Nobody came to fetch me.

I fell asleep, excited that tomorrow would be another good day.

I opened my eyes to a new morning, with the same excitement as I went to bed with. I knew something wonderful was going to happen. Got myself ready for school with a list of things to say to her when I see her again today. Did not tell anyone about her because my two friends would joke all day about it. Blaming them would be futile because I had zero interest in girls.

On my way to school, I met up with my friends at our usual spot before the bell separated us because of different subjects.

My friends, Vin and Zaid, since primary school, have been looking after each other from bullies to teachers to homework to projects. I decided for the first time to keep a secret from them for my sanity because I could not describe the feeling that was surging inside of me, I had a mission to find her again but also in the back of my mind knew if I could not on my own I would require help from them. I delayed telling my friends and searched on my own. All I had to decide was when I wanted to be kicked out today. Maybe she was looking for me as well.

As the bell went for us to separate, I didn't even hear what our lunchtime plans were for the day. Caught up in my mind.

The school was always a breeze for me. I was born to be there, and never tried to fight the system it placed me in. I would, later on, though. Although I was on autopilot for most of my school years, I met a few teachers along the way who enlightened my mind.

There were another two periods during this day to execute my plan and get kicked out so I could go wait for her on the soccer field. I even answered all the questions in the different classes to make the time pass. I would lie if I did not say I was excited to see her again.

If you ever heard of the term taking chances in life in the now, this would be the description right next to it.

The day was passing slowly, and my mind was working overtime. Thinking of different scenarios I realized that the feeling I have is foreign to me.

I had to convert it into what I want to become in life, as I would do anything when I feel like this. It was a definite light bulb for my plans. The classes I had been waiting for had finally arrived and I planned to go to the bathroom and come late into Phillip Alexander's class. He does not appreciate lateness and would kick me out of his class. On my return from the bathroom, the teacher kicked me out of class. I went to the soccer field excitedly and sat there waiting for her.

I always wondered how long it takes to give up hope. Here, it was one period when the bell reminded me to wake up like an alarm clock in a fantasy world.

She was nowhere to be seen. I had found myself in a hopeless place over a person I only met once.

I sat there, staring at the soccer field. I heard footsteps walking toward me, my heart rose before I even looked up.

It is just another guy that also got kicked out.

The failure of my plan shocked me, yet I couldn't shake the hope within me. I spent all my free time searching for her. In all honesty, the plan was a bad idea, but beating myself up was inevitable. I was completely out of my comfort zone but exhilarating. The term anxious had actual meaning for me now.

After just one day of looking for her at school, I told my friends what happened, and that I needed help to look for her; I described her in the best conceivable way I could, and guess what; they started laughing and calling me names.

It is to be expected, of course, and come to think of it; I tease them all the time for that. Although they laughed, one managed the words. ''We will help you find her'', and that is all a person could ever ask for. So begins the journey of finding my detention mate and spending more time with her.

You always need friends to do things, be it right or wrong. We started at the assembly and worked our way through every class from grade 8 to grade 12 class, and she was nowhere to be found. Weeks went by and I focused on my education and arrived in one class where a teacher asked me to teach the class because they didn't understand her. I was one of her favorite students.

How was school for you?

Hope you enjoy it. Please like and share.