Chapter 21

"cheers for your new novel's success!"

everyone clinked their glasses together, drinking the wine shortly after.

"traveler, just to confirm, you are allowed to drink, right," cyno asked.

"i'm well above the legal age requirement," aether replied. "it's just that normally people don't let me drink because i look too young."

you chuckled, swirling your wine in your glass. "take it as a compliment, baby man."

aether flushed out of embarrassment from the nickname, cyno plus his spouse and kaveh bursting out laughing and tighnari chuckling a little. al haitham shook his head, "at least get creative a little. aren't you an author?"

"i am, but right now i'm just Y/N," you retorted.

"give them a break," tighnari said, taking a small sip and grimacing a little from the bitterness. "they're tipsy."

"am not," you argued back, slurring a little, then pointing at kaveh. "bro's over here drunk!"

"uhhh Y/N, i didn't take a sip until our toast," kaveh said, also slurring.

"you're either lying or a lightweight," al haitham snorted. "and i believe it's the former."

"ughhhh! al haitham why do you always have to make a point out of everything," kaveh retorted dramatically, banging his hand on the table.

"just makeout already," cyno's spouse drawled. "there's so much tension between the two of you, it's annoying as fuck."

kaveh and al haitham glared at them, making them raise one of their hands up. "don't tell me that NONE of you thought the same. raise your hand if you agree."

all of you (except the two males of course) raised their hand, making both of them groan in annoyance. kaveh then looked over at you and gasped, "Y/N?! YOU TOO???"

"yes me too," you said, everyone lowering their hand. "i agree. stop staring at him with those fucking 'goo goo' eyes and just go back to your house and tell him how you feel."

al haitham sighed out of embarrassment, "kaveh, you're making a scene. maybe i do need to take you back to your house so you can think straight."

"good excuse," tighnari said with a deadpanned look. "as if you'll do anything in that house that's straight."

cyno almost spat out his drink, you and his partner stifling laughs from how disgruntled al haitham looked and how disgusted kaveh's expression was.

"oh would you look at that, they're matching expressions," cyno pointed out, earning another round of laughing.

kaveh sighed, "aren't we here for Y/N's novel? why did it suddenly shift to me and al haitham?"

"deflecting the topic i see," tighnari said, earning another glare from kaveh. he sighed and changed the topic. "alright alright. yes we are, sorry for outing you and al haitham."

al haitham groaned, "enough..."

you giggled, "alright, let's stop teasing them so much."

"awwww," cyno's spouse whined. "this shit was just getting good! but i get it..."

cyno laughed, "you and me both."

tighnari looked at you then cupped one of your cheeks with an ungloved hand, "your face is really warm right now."

"yeah... i think i drank one too many glasses."

"if you want to get out of here at any time, let me know, okay? don't drink too much more."

you nodded, cyno's partner grabbing something from their bag and placing it on the table. "let's play tcg!! just like the old times! anyone up for a match or 10?"

al haitham rolled his eyes, "consider me a spectator."

"count me in," cyno said, grabbing his casket of tomes.

"i guess i can play a round," kaveh said, grabbing his deck.

"tighnari? are you gonna play," cyno's spouse asked.

tighnari looked over at you, who had a throbbing headache from the alcohol. he grabbed your hand and helped you up, using himself as a crutch. "i'm gonna help them sober up a little, then we'll be back."

everyone else hummed or said "okay", tighnari helped you get outside for some fresh air. he handed you a small medicine bottle, filled with some serum that would help you sober up a little.

"thanks," you said, giving him back the bottle. "i needed a break."

"you look really flushed."

"no shit," you said sarcastically, making him laugh.

"so sarcastic when you're drunk," he commented. "how adorable."

you blushed and looked away, hoping he'd take it as part of the alcohol. "oh shut up!"

he chuckled and leaned his head on your shoulder tenderly, his ears brushing the back of your head. "nah."

you sighed, looking off and seeing the empty streets of sumeru city. no matter how beautiful inazuma is, you will always treasure the beautiful lush green forests that you'd call home.

"i don't wanna leave," you said again. "i know i keep repeating myself constantly, but i really wish i could stay. if only yae publishing house was closer."

"maybe if you ask your boss if you could move here, you'd have a chance," he suggested, playing with one of your hands and tracing each line. "or... maybe it's a little more complex than just that."

he was right. during your stay here, you had already told tighnari how much of a difficult yokai yae miko was. you could ask, but at the same time, your career was on the line.

but could you really happily continue your career while tighnari is practically on the other side of teyvat? long distance wouldn't be easy considering both of your work schedules. after a sigh, you wrapped your arm around tighnari's figure.

"i'll see what i can do," you said. "hopefully she'll be able to understand."

tighnari lifted your hand, pressing a small kiss to the back of it. "i look forward to hearing her response."