Chapter 18

"Y/N!" you turned around, seeing cyno's spouse running over to you, crushing you in a large hug.

"h-hey there," you said, trying to get them to loosen their grip on you. "i can't breathe-"

"oh shit, my bad," they said, releasing their grip on you. "it's so good to see you again!"

"likewise!"

they sighed, "i can't believe it's already been 3 months since all that crap went down."

"has it already been that long? time flew so quickly," you said.

"at least you have a few more months before you leave us," they said with a frown. "i don't want you to leave!"

"uhm... yeah about that... unfortunately i have to leave next week."

"WHAT?! WHY?!"

"my boss wants me to return a little earlier because there's been an issue with the light novel distribution. i just got the notice last night."

"you can't just leave us," they retorted, crossing their arms over their chest. "why did yae have to choose you of all people to sort it out!"

"well, in all fairness it is my novel that she's trying to distribute," you reasoned. "of course she'd need my help."

they sighed, "i don't want you to leave... you've barely been here for 4 months."

"i don't want to leave either... but novel writing is my job. i have to go back."

"but what are you going to tell your boyfriend?"

"if you mean tighnari, we're not dating yet," you corrected them. "and i'm not sure how to tell him..."

"just be straightforward," they said. "it's not like he can stop you from leaving."

"but that's the thing," you said. "he definitely could."

"i almost forgot you're completely and hopelessly in love with him," they rolled their eyes playfully.

"i can say the same with you and cyno," you pointed out.

"at least i'm married," they defended themself, holding up their hand. "tighnari still hasn't asked you out yet?"

"well... it's kind of complicated right now."

"what happened?"

flashback - 1 month ago

"Y/N, can we talk about something?"

"oh sure," you said, putting your pen down. tighnari sat down on your bed, and you spun in your chair to face him. "what's up?"

"well... i wanted to say thank you."

"what for?"

"for a lot of things, it's a long list so i won't bore you with it. but the bottom line is that i wanted to thank you for how much you've done for me. staying up late with me, helping me work through my feelings, being patient with me when i do the most random or dumb shit, and just being there for me when i need someone to talk to."

"well of course! i'll always be there for you."

"but here's my question. are you happy with just being friends?"

you didn't know how to answer, wondering if this is his way of rejecting your feelings. he knew how you felt about him, and you couldn't bring yourself to respond to his question. of course you were happy with being his friend, but you weren't going to lie and pretend like you were completely okay with it.

"well, i'm your friend now, aren't i?"

"but that wasn't my question. Y/N, are you completely content with just being friends?"