Chapter 14.5 (Mini Extra)

(i wanted to include this small part for my own entertainment & for people who enjoy seeing cyno and his partner's dynamic! for this mini chapter, it'll be in the pov of the you from "Duty of the General.")

azar realized what was happening. he realized the damn scribe's plan. after hearing the fabricated announcement that he knew was fake, his fear brought unwanted questions. he couldn't take a single risk, the archon's freedom was an immediate threat to his authority and way of life.

now he was in the sanctuary of surasthana, seeing the fact that lesser lord kusanali was still indeed imprisoned inside. he wiped the sweat off his forehead, sighing to himself with relief until he heard someone yell his name.

"AZAR!"

he looked up and thought he was delusional, seeing what looked to be you. then he realized after his eyes focused that it really was you in the flesh."

"{name}...? so those eremites didn't feed me lies. you survived."

"yep! in the fucking flesh," you seethed, then laughed. "nice to see you again, shitbag."

"how did you live," he asked. "i took extra precautions-"

you hopped down and choked him, holding him against the walls with one hand. "i appreciate that you took so much time deliberating on how to get rid of me. how flattering. i would say i feel honored, but that would be a lie."

"{name}, enough." you heard another pair of legs hit the floor and step over, but you didn't turn around. "let him go. our orders are to bring him alive."

"who the fuck cares, cyno," you turned your head to face him, your hatred-filled eyes meeting his scarlet ones. cyno flinched when he saw the flame behind your gaze. "he wanted me dead."

"be the bigger per-"

"no."

he sighed. "{name}... be reasonable. if you want to see him live in regret, let me take him to the jail so he can rot forever."

you turned back to azar, eyes glimmering with fury and angry tears. they did not fall, but he did. you let him go after a hard squeeze on the neck, making him flop down and cough. he sneered, "hah. weak. you see, this is why i wanted cyno as the general mahamatra. and not you."

in a flash of purple lightning, azar was knocked backwards, burns and cuts littering his body. you looked over in shock at your husband who had a look of pure loathing for the poor-excuse of a sage who kneeled before him.

you snickered, "what happened to being the bigger person?"

"fuck being the bigger person," cyno said through gritted teeth. "{name}, i'd recommend you step out for a second."

"h-hey wait, why can't i ruffle him up a bit?"

"because i don't want you wasting your energy on this worthless old man."

you sighed, "cyno c'mon..."

"{name}, you battered him up enough. the door is behind you. wait for me outside. i'm not done with him just yet."

your mouth dropped from shock at the tone, then you came to the conclusion that there was no winning this fight. and besides, you had a follow up mission after this anyways, so he wasn't wrong.

"fine... see ya."

as you walked out, you heard an impact and a body falling limp. cyno's voice was like daggers, his tone sharp and furious. it would have scared the skin off of any other person, but at this point you were used to hearing it after working alongside him for the past few days.

"i need to follow my own advice. you ancient sack of bones, how dare you insult {name}. if you want to have a slim chance of living, i'd shut your mouth and pipe down. or i'll make you. got it?"

haha... last time i heard this voice, he was shit talking al haitham.

"you insole-"

crunch.

then there was a pain-filled yell right before you closed the door to the sanctuary. you let out a deep sigh, leaning against a nearby pillar that was by the door. occasionally, you could faintly hear more screaming, and you inwardly snickered a few times when you heard pleading and attempted bribery. more screaming followed, of course.

"man... i hope dehya's part of the plan is going well. knowing her group, they probably won't even need my help over there."