The new boy

Nene

He sat like a Prince, a lazy prince. The new boy. I could have sworn that it took a whole lot of restraint not to cross his legs on the top of Principal Amir's table. He sat straight but he dipped his head to the side, eyes closed, lips pursed and brows so bored. I've never seen anyone so eager to leave Mr Amir's office yet so relaxed and undisturbed— Everyone wants to leave the Principal's office. It's never a good thing to see the frowning and Choleric man.

He seemed to have sensed our presence, I mean, the principal's PA just announced our arrival. His eyes flipped open so quickly and met mine. Amusement.
I saw amusement flash in his eyes but I payed him no heed and traced my eyes on the principal who was busy with whatever documents lay before him.

"Good afternoon, Sir" Toby said and echoed it too, albeit clumsily but he heared it and that's all that mattered.

The Principal nodded his head and took a few moments to put down his Bic pen before he glanced up at us.

"Coker" He smiled but it looked so much like a grimace. It always did.

"Sir" We both replied and he nodded once more, like he just realized our existence.

Weird man, Mr Amir.

"My brightest students" He beamed and I wished he didn't, with his glasses on his nose like that, he looked like a big bad wolf from a children illustration that Junior read when he was in primary school.

Okay, maybe, I kinda have 'The little riding hood ' still tucked under my pillow, and he looked like that particular wolf with his beardie that way but that's not the point. And please don't ask me why I had a children's storybook with me, I loved little red riding hood no matter how stupid and unrealistic the plot was.

"It's good you are here, The young man, Willoughby right here was waiting for your arrival. You may show him around school then" Mr Amir said. I don't know if he was referring to me or my brother, but I didn't plan on going with my brother for whatever tour there was.

"Very well, Sir" Toby bobbed his head and made a bow to the man before offering the new boy a very friendly smile. The signature smile.

The boy flashed back a smile, got up  and replicated Toby's bow but barely even tried.

"Thank you, Mr Amir for having me in your cozy office" The new boy flashed another smile.

It sent my stomach churning. Was it a flip or a roll? I don't know what occured there but I made a note to ask Risifat for flagil or stomach relief drugs; damn worms must be back. Either way, we turned to exit the office but Mr Amir added,

"Coker, may I have a private word with you? Your friends may wait outside" My heart took a clean dip into my stomach and I prayed it wasn't me he was referring to. It wasn't. I hoped.

I and my brother shared confused look; Mr Amir had an annoying habit of addressing students by their surnames. Even now when there were obviously two Cokers present.

The man caught on the looks and nodded apprehensively "The male, I meant"

"Yes" Toby shared another subtle glance with me and only then did my heart crawl back to my chest.

I opened the door and led I and the new boy out to the reception. We headed to the waiting sofas there and I sank into one of them, the new boy joined me on the same sofa. The P.A of our principal seemed to have stepped out, I was glad because... Well, just because.

I had to take a pause in appreciation for nice scent. Yes.

Inhale,

Exhale.