New beginning

SEAN

The end is only the new beginning. Mum keeps singing that saying all the time. We moved again and it didn't sit well with me in any way. I still couldn't believe that I was changing schools in my final year.

I guess it should be rather exciting to move to a new environment. Right? That's total crap. The only reason why anyone would want to change environment is when he or she doesn't like his or her environment at all or running away from something.

Trust me I was never happy about the idea of relocating, like why? I was settled in Abuja, I had friends and 'family' there, I had a beautiful reputation and fame of being the handsome half caste  senior prefect with the British accent .

Perfect! Not until mother said she had to move to Lagos because she wanted to expand the company business blah blah! I argued with her alot on this issue. I could've just stayed with Dad. I even tried to convince Dad, but he refused vehemently, that I should listen to mother and all that long talk of obedience to parents.

He pulled the parent card. The expressionless face of  'it's final', leaving no room for arguments, trust mum to leave her arguments for Dad to give them finishing touches and cement them even when she was being unreasonable. It was Final year for crying out loud!

"Sean! Breakfast is ready, you don't want to be late for school!" Mum's voice rang.

"Coming!" I grumbled as I fumbled and fought with the tie. I had also had a tie as part of the dress code for my former school back at Abuja, but  Mama Titi our housekeeper always helped me knot it, or even Tolani, my friend at school.

"Arghhhh!" The first day of school already sucked starting with the damn tie that I couldn't even fix properly, I couldn't afford creating a wrong impression and leaving a bad image on the new school mates. Whatever it was, First impression mattered; if the first impression was perfect, all you had to do was work on keeping up with the first impression and all will go smoothly.

"I will not call you down again!" Mum's thick accent was evident as she scolded. I guessed she was on the stairway,her hand akimbo with a creased forehead and a frown etched on her face.

I grabbed my bag and sighed. "Mum I can't fix this tie, it's just too hard!" I closed my room door behind me and made for the stairway.

"Big baby" I could imagine that point where my mother rolled her eyes.

"Mum" I groaned for the nth time "you know this is not my thing"

I hopped the stairs, skipping two or more steps till I reached the last stair.

"You are going to fall from the stairs, and probably have a concussion and then spend the rest of the week in the hospital if you don't stop running down the staircases everytime" Mum chided.

She hated when I jumped the stairs or ran on it, she always told me tales of how she fell off the stairs, practically rolled down the stairs and had a concussion. She must have had a trauma from that. Trust me to laugh my head off when she told me that sob story.

"Come and have breakfast, I don't want you to be late on your first day, I also have an appointment at noon, don't dilly dally" she snapped her fingers while she sashayed towards the dining room.

Her outfit was a stunner. She never grew older. Her suit skirt hugging her at the right places, highlighting her long fair legs. My mum always pulled off any cloth with utter perfection.