SORROW AND SOLACE

Start from the beginning

"We're in Pyropa. We have to walk a small way," he said, his voice low and kind, eyes shining with melancholy. Sapphire understood the unvoiced command and with the man's help climbed back onto her mare.

The houses were scattered, rising high into the sky. Back in her village, only a few houses had more than one landing; the villagers usually had to make do with what they had. Only the larger families had enough money to build a second storey and that had included her own. In Kapok, the houses had been constructed far apart, separated by the herb gardens or the smithies or the small farms. Here, the houses stood wall to wall, with occasional gardens in front of them. The road stretched between the houses, lit by numerous torches.

James headed towards the houses that lay on the periphery, never going too deep into the city and walking along streets that were darker and more secluded than others. Once, Sapphire thought she saw someone move into an alley up ahead but played it off as a trick of the light when she saw no one there. The houses gradually thinned as they went till James stopped in front of one that had a small stable beside it and a garden lined with lemon trees, indigo periwinkles and a wooden fence. 

Sapphire got off her saddle, careful not to put much of her weight on her injured leg. She balanced herself on the fence, taking in the sweet smell of the lemon blooms as James led Aurora into the stable, where on close inspection she saw, another horse stood. She let her eyes travel to the window, one wooden panel open halfway, allowing her a glimpse of a white curtain. Beyond it, the room seemed dark, yet Sapphire knew someone must have been awake in the house. The window wouldn't have been left open, otherwise.

James reappeared and headed to the front door, tapping on the wood in an odd rhythm with his fingers. She shuffled forwards as the peephole was uncovered. The door was thrown open moments later, revealing Rueen standing in the doorway, a curtain hanging over her head, her cerulean eyes travelling over Sapphire's ragged form, before she pulled the cloth aside to usher them in. She allowed Sapphire to put an arm around her neck and lead her through a small door to a bedroom.

"You've cut your hair again," Sapphire remarked as she gazed at the dark locks that curled to her shoulders.

"Gets in the way," she replied with a shrug, her lips turning into a small smile that fell away slowly. Her hands twisted into the cloth of her gown as she sat down. She opened her mouth once but then closed it.

"Found your cure for tree induced ulcerosis?"

"It's hard to research when I hardly get any tree ulcerosis patients in these parts, isn't it?" Rueen replied, a sad smile gracing her features as she thought about her failed ambition. She remained silent for a few moments. "I wish I could be there sooner," she finally made out.

Sapphire gulped, her throat constricting as she felt a pressure behind her eyes and the burn of tears. She said nothing, just leaning against Rueen's arm as it came to encircle her in a one-armed embrace. Her leg swung against the bed frame for a few moments, before she gave a particular hard kick to the bed. Her friend remained silent, well aware of Sapphire's habit of kicking and punching anything within reach in her anger.

"We were so close to leaving, you know," she said, her voice choked with grief. "We had the supplies ready. We had traced out the route through the mountains. We knew we had a few more days. We were all set to leave within two nights. They had to get a few carts ready to carry the injured. Ta Leif had ordered everyone to pack whether they wanted to or not" She looked up and gazed at the pendulum clock hung on the wall. "You've got a clock," she sniffled.

"Marked candles are rare here. Someone lent that to us. They're too expensive for us to buy."

She could feel the tears tracing down her face, the tightening of Rueen's fingers around her shoulders as she narrated. A sudden chill had fallen over them, making both of them shiver. She continued, "I saw a few of them run away into the mountains. But.... they were just so few. I couldn't even make out who it was. And the flames... they- they were enchanted. They were green! They just spread. I've never seen a fire spread so fast... seconds...and the whole village was alight."