43 | Iron Sky

Every time during the following weeks when my eyes met Fred's, he was looking at me in a certain way. It was annoying. I wanted to let go, but how could that work if he always looked at me like that?
Alicia and Angelina tried to convince me to talk with him about us, but I didn't want to. Not this time. I was tired. Tired of being in this constant on and off thing, tired of getting my heart ripped out every now and then because of his moods. Trying to make things up with him was an exhausting and pointless project that I didn't want to spend much more engery on.
It was sad, though. I was sad. But with the Triwizard Tournament coming, I was positive that I'd have quite enough distraction in my sixth school year.
Remember to be careful what you wish for.

It was the evening before the great feast where the Champions would be announced. Angelina had finally thrown her name into the Goblet of Fire, which brought her great applause by all Gryffindors. I sat at the side with Hermione, Harry and Ron and watched. When Fred and George came in short after Angelina, waving around small pieces of parchment with their names written on it, ready to throw them into the blue fire as well, I could not believe it. They weren't actually that stupid to think they could cross Dumbledore's Age Line?
To all of our great joy, they were. Short after they crossed the line and threw the parchment into the goblet, red and blue sparks came flying out of the fire and the twins were thrown out backwards. When they got up, everybody burst into laughter. Long white beards sprouted out of their faces, grew longer and longer until they reached onto the floor. As their beards wouldn't stop growing, they had no choice but to go straight to the Hospital Wing. I personally hoped it would take a while to fix this.

Hermione, who was barely paying attention to what was happening and focussed on her book instead, suddenly raised her head. I noticed her movement first, but then everybody else got quiet as well. Viktor Krum had just entered the room, followed by the Durmstrang Headmaster Igor Karkaroff. Krum's appearance was enough to make almost everyone watch his steps with reverence. Ron started to search his bag for parchment and a quill - I bet he wanted to ask Viktor Krum for an autograph (he had barely talked about anything else since the Durmstrang students had arrived at Hogwarts).
Harry's eyes didn't follow Krum but Karkaroff instead - and Karkaroff starred back at him.
And Krum, who was currently the most famous person at the castle (well, besides Harry) who usually seemed like he wished he'd be somewhere else, had just eyes for Hermione. I noticed them both glancing at each other with great astonishment. Viktor Krum didn't let his eyes off Hermione even a second on his way out of the room, after he has thrown his name into the Goblet of Fire. Well, at least I was now curious how this new developments would envolve.
"Now's my chance, I gotta go ask him", said Ron suddenly when Krum and Karkaroff had both left the room, and followed him alongside with Harry and a bunch of other fans. Hermione cleared her throat and headed off to the library, her face red from blushing. I let them set off without me - now that everyone else had left the hall for bed I wanted to use the solitude to read the letter from Sirius that Hedwig had brought me this morning at breakfast.
I pulled the letter out of my bag and carefully unfolded it.

Julie,
Firstly, I want to tell you how glad I am that you survived the incident at the Quidditch World Cup unharmed. What happened there is a great tragedy. And I fear it will not be the last time the Death Eaters came out of their holes. Promise me to always keep your eyes open.
What you had to tell about the conflict with the Malfoys seems quite odd to me though. It is not possible but yet it has happened. I can not give you the answer why my dear cousin did not recognize your face. To me it was totally obvious from the beginning.
I fear, the only person who can give you the answers you are seeking is Dumbledore. But I dare you not to loose yourself in it - getting an appropriate answer from Albus Dumbledore has always been an almost impossible task. And I believe you haven't contacted Andromeda yet?
However, I wish you all the luck in the world. Write me whenever you can if you want to. You are part of the little family I have left and I am very grateful that I found you.
I send you some money within this envelope. Don't ask me how I got it, but I promise you it is rightfully earned and not stolen. You will probably need it this year. The Triwizard Tournament is a magical contest with a great history. If I am not mistaken, there are some traditions coming for you that require a certain dress code. Use the galleons for that when it is time. You can see it as sixteen birthday presents at once from your first cousin, once removed.
Padfoot

I was suddenly interrupted reading by a loud noise. Someone must have silently walked into the hall without me noticing.
Blue sparks came now shot out of the Goblet of Fire. The sudden sound scared me, made me jump up and let Sirius' envelope fall down on the floor. The galleons in it rolled in every direction.
"Oh crap", I muttured. I quickly stuffed the letter into the pocket of my jeans and began crawling on the floor, trying to collect all of the golden coins I had lost.
"Ouch!"
Now I had accidentally bumped my head against the hard wood of the table above me.
"Do you need a hand?", asked a voice I had never heard before above me. The voice was deep and friendly and spoke with a slight east european accent. Two legs had appeared on front of me, wearing black jeans and heavy black boots. The legs crouched down and a face appeared.
"Do you need a hand?", the Durmstrang boy repeated and kindly smiled. "Why don't you use your wand?"
Right, my wand. I was such an idiot. I pulled my wand out of my pocket to summon the galleons, but the boy was faster.
"Accio galleons", he said with a swish of his wand. Then he reached out his hands towards me and helped me up on my feet. I must have starred at him several seconds without doing anything because then he smiled at me, took my hands and let the galleons fall back into them.
"There you go", he said kindly.
"Er, thanks", I said and blushed. He was still standing close in front of me. He had a round face, a wide nose, high cheek bones and a rather defined jaw line. His long dark hair was tied together behind his neck and his upper lip was framed with a small neat moustache.
"I used to forget using magic all the time during my first years at school", he said. "I believe all muggle born experience that problem."
"Good to know you're an ally", I replied. "Means you don't take me for a fool."
"Oh, I do take you for a fool", the guy grinned. "But for a rather cute fool, actually."
"My pleasure. Nobody bumps their head as elegantly as I do."
The boy grinned. "I'm Nikola, by the way."
"Julie."
Nikola raised his eyebrows. "Is that a nickname?"
"Well, yes. It's Juliet actually. But there's literally no one that calls me that."
"I don't like nicknames", said Nikola.
"Talking about names. Did you just throw your name into the Goblet of Fire, Nikola?"
He nodded.
"Finger's crossed then, I guess."
"Nevermind. It's going to be Krum anyway. I don't stand a chance against him. That's why I wanted to be alone when I threw my name inside at least."
"Sorry I came across your plans."
Nikola laughed. Small dimples formed in his cheeks when he smiled.
"You can make it up to me, Juliet. Show me around the castle some time."
"Sounds like a decent way to repay my debt", I agreed.
"Great. It's a date then."

To rise over love
And over hate
Through this iron sky
That's fast becoming our minds
Over fear and into freedom
- Paolo Nutini