32 || You're something compatible

Start from the beginning

I quickly realise that I'm making myself worse. I will myself to stop panicking because I need to inhale as little of this polluted air as possible. People die from smoke inhalation. If I don't want to die I need to be logical about this.

With that in mind, I grab my blanket, bundle it up and hold it over my nose.

I need to get out of here. The more time I waste the more likely I am to die.

I think about jumping out of the window for a second but realise that isn't an option for it doesn't open wide enough. I have nothing up here that I can particularly use to smash it either.

I open the door and the house is lit up by the raging fire covering the left side of the living room and spreading quickly.

My eyes widen and I walk as quickly as I can on shaking legs down the stairs.

Why do bad things always happen to me?

I have to walk pressed against the right wall so I'm as far away from the fire as possible.

I can feel the blazing heat surrounding me, suffocating me but I don't give up.

I'm practically drenched in sweat by the time I manage to make it to the kitchen which helps me get further away from the quickly spreading fire.

I find it weird that the fire didn't start here but don't spend time dwelling on it. I can't waste even a second.

I feel myself getting weaker as I'm barely able to take in any oxygen because it's what's fuelling the fire.

The door is in sight and I stumble towards it. I'm still holding the blanket against my nose but it's not doing much to filter out the smoke.

I feel extremely light headed and dizzy, so dizzy.

Suddenly the door slams open.

"Cassie?" I hear someone shout, their voice slightly muffled by the raging fire.

"Over here." I manage to get out while coughing.

Francisco takes five quick steps towards me before rushing me outside and away from the house.

I take the fabric away from my nose and take in a well needed, long breath of crisp air.

I sit down on a patch of grass at a safe distance from my house and focus on getting some air in my system. I watch as the fire spreads and my house and everything I own goes up in flames.

"I called the fire brigade and an ambulance, they're on their way." Francisco says, sitting beside me on the grass. "Blaine's on his way too."

"What were you doing here?" I ask, suddenly suspicious of why he was anywhere nearby.

"Blaine asked me to keep an eye on you. I'd literally just gotten here when I saw the fire."

"You don't hate me for deceiving you?" I ask.

"No. Blaine makes the hard calls and asking you to find the mole was one of them."

♡♡♡