19 || The Kashmir Sapphire

The door gets opened and I walk in before it's shut behind me

My attention goes to the right of the room where a middle aged lady is sat in an office chair. Her legs are propped up on the table infront of her and she's flicking through a file.

She drops the file onto the table and onto the pile of files but still doesn't look up to me.

I straighten up and walk forward. She already knows that I'm here, she just isn't looking at me. This is a test. With that in mind I stroll towards the desk, silently and unrudely demanding her attention.

Her lips tilt up slightly when she realises what I'm doing and then her eyes flick to mine.

"Hi." She says.

"Hi, I'm Cassandra but everyone calls me Cassie."

"I assume you're here on the behalf of Blaine Sousa." She states. "Please, take a seat."

I pull out a chair opposite and take a seat and she removes her legs from the table.

"So, tell me, why does Blaine deserve the Kashmir Sapphire?" Elenora questions.

I shrug. "I convinced Blaine to send me in here to advocate for him but the truth is I'd rather talk about me." I confidently state. "I'm sure he, as well as every other man here deserves it. But do they really? Men are always in charge and no matter what we do we're constantly belittled by them. They claim to know our problems, to support us and yet do nothing to help us. Women are held to a different standard than Men: we have to work at least twice as hard to simply get the opportunities they do. So you could give that sapphire to anyone here. Maybe the Men here are physically stronger than me me, I'll give them that, but by simply being a woman I've endured way more then they could ever imagine and survived. If you want someone strong, someone relatable, someone who can make a difference, then I'm your girl."

"That was an impressive speech." She says. "And you're right, the majority of the men didn't put in half the effort you just did." She looks down at the folders in thought. "I have a few more candates left and I want to give them a fair chance before announcing anything." Well that sounds promising.

"Thank you for your time."

"Thank you for yours, Cassie."

I leave the room and search through the corridors for the way back into the ballroom, exited to tell Blaine that I crushed it.

I follow the loud music back to the ballroom and just as I'm walking in someone barges past me, bumping their shoulder with mine.