VI. All I've ever wanted

Hi! I've realized that I made a little mistake with the ages in my last chapter (I got confused by the time skip... and now you can see how good I am at maths, haha!). Since Shouto had just been born, Touya should have been 9, Fuyumi and (Y/N) 8, and Natsuo 4-5 (or Shouto should have been older).

So I'm going to rectify that right now! To recap, in this chapter, Touya is 13, (Y/N) and Fuyumi are 12, Natsuo is 9 and Shouto is 5. Sorry again for this blunder ;-)*Also, when I write (Y/LN) in this chapter, it means "your last name" !

A year and a half later

The end of August was approaching and life would soon return to normal.

The end of summer meant, of course, the start of a new school year. I was now approaching my thirteenth birthday and, for the first time, I was incredibly nervous about the start of the new school year, as I would be entering my first year of college. Luckily, Fuyumi would still be going to the same school as me, and it was a great comfort to know that I wouldn't be completely alone in this lion's den full of horny teenagers.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend much time with my friends that summer, as my parents had decided to go on a humanitarian trip. We had left at the end of June to travel all around Japan, with the aim of helping the people who were in need. My father had cooked astronomical quantities of food to distribute free of charge, and my mother and I had visited several homeless shelters to help the sick. Of course, the trip had been a golden opportunity for my medical training and I'd loved the experience, but I'd missed Fuyumi and Touya enormously and looked forward to seeing them again.

Thus, as soon as I got home, before even taking the time to unpack, I jumped on the phone to call the Todoroki. When Fuyumi told me that her father had gone out of town for the day with Shouto, I rushed out the door with the intention of going to see them, but Mom quickly called me back, forcing me to sort through the clothes in my suitcase so she could do some laundry.

When my chores were done and I was finally ready to go and visit my friends, Mom mentioned that she wanted to come with me, which was not her habit. In fact, she said she wanted to discuss something with Mrs. Rei. Worried, I immediately asked some subtle questions to see if she had any idea what was going on at the Todoroki, but she just winked at me and said she had a surprise for me.

Increasingly intrigued, I took my place beside my mother in the car. For most of the ride, I tried to question her about why she wanted to talk to Rei, but she only responded with frustratingly mischievous smiles.

When we finally arrived, I almost ran out of the car and literally jumped into Fuyumi's arms, as she was waiting for me outside.

"Hi, Fu!" I said, hugging my friend.
"(Y/N)! I missed you so much!"

Laughing, we hugged for several long seconds before letting go. I heard my mother's car door slam behind me as she walked towards us, a broad smile on her face.

"What a lovely reunion!" said Mom. "Did you have a good summer, Fuyumi?"
"Yes, ma'am," my friend replied politely, bowing in greeting to my mother.
"Wonderful," replied Mom. "Tell me, is your mother here? I'd like to talk to her about something."
"Uh... y-yes, she is..." stammered Fuyumi, giving me a brief worried glance. "Follow me, please."

We followed my friend's lead into the living room. Mrs. Rei was sitting on the couch, a book in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. When she saw us, she stood up, putting down her things and looking surprised.

"Good morning, madam," Rei greeted politely, stepping towards my mother. "Good morning, (Y/N)."
"Good morning, Mrs. Rei," I replied with a smile.

My mother also greeted her, gently extending her hand.