Chapter 9

She told me to pack a bag at meet her at the hotel entrance at 10pm. I thought it was a bit late to go out and it also meant that I'd be missing that play that Maddie wanted to go to.

We took the 2 train from 50th street and honestly I couldn't be more frightened if I was blindfolded!

We got off at 125th Street. We were in Harlem. Now, no disrespect intended to anyone who lives in Harlem but for a chilled guy from LA, it was terrifying. Lily still hadn't told me where we were going.

There were men looking at her hungrily and leaning into our personal space. One man walked right up to me and spat right between my eyes. A three legged, starving dog wandered past. We turned a corner and saw a homeless man with no arms or teeth staring at the ground. We walked on quickly.

I feel the need to draw attention to the fact that it was nearly eleven o' clock and we were wandering around in an unfamiliar area and no one even knew that we'd gone. 

"Lily, do you even know where we're going?"

"Yes."

"Are you ever going to tell me why we are here?"

"No."

So why did you bring me if I cant even help? Am I like your muscle or something? What If I die? Do you really want me dead?"

"Oh my God! Just SHUT UP!" At that moment, I realised how nervous Lily really was. She actually looked like she was going to cry. 

I saw a graffitied bench and beckoned Lily to come and sit on it with me. She sat down and put her head in her hands so I put my arm around her. "Listen Lils, we are here together and you're bearing all this stress alone. Why don't you tell me where we're going and I can help us find this-"

"No," she whispered.

"What?"

"No. I don't want you to die." I must have still looked confused because she continued. "Before, you asked if I want you dead. Im scared Jason. I think I know where we're going and I want to help Haley but this place is scaring me. People keep spitting at us or shouting obscenities. I just want to go back to the hotel."

I stared at her for a minute and sighed, "let's go buy a map."

Look, I'm a practical guy and I suck at emotional stuff. Well, if it isn't physical, if you know what I mean... Anyway, she was getting all upset and I didn't know what to say. Don't judge me!

She nodded and silently wiped her eyes. 

After buying a map, we headed towards the place that Lily had circled. West 31st street. We'd walked for over an hour and after passing West 29th and West 30th,I thought we had found it. Lily obviously agreed as she'd started walking faster. We hadn't spoken since sitting on the bench and there was definitely some awkward tension between us.

Lily stopped outside a random house. "This is it," she said

"What is it?"

"The answer to our problems."

She headed up the stair eagerly and knocked on the door.

*******************************************************************************

Author's Note

Hey guys! Im sorry I haven't updated in ages! I haven't lost interest though, Ive just been really busy. To show my how sorry I really am, I am going to publish 2 more chapters today (after this one) and I will finally explain the incident that happened 'eight years and eleven months ago'.

Shoutout to CityKids for the really cool banner :)

Anyway, vote/comment/subscribe

Always,

AngelOfPen xx