07

I had forgotten all about the boardwalk. I only went once or twice when we were kids, I've never really been a fan of rollercoaster, my head is spinning enough as it already is when both of my feet are on the ground. And I don't need rides to make my heart drop into my stomach, I just need to look at him... We enter the site, it's just how I remember, looking like any state fair but in a good way. Booths of games, food trucks, arcade and rollercoasters everywhere that reunites a large crowd of people that goes from toddler to elder. I look up to the different rides, the sun mostly blinding my eyes but it's still clear to me that I'm not dressed for the boardwalk. I tug at the bottom of Taylor's dress, I don't want to stretch it but it's sticking too close to my skin, itching it.

"Worried about your poor choice of clothes?" Steven teases and my intuitive answer is to flip him off, my middle finger rising without tearing my eyes from the sky. I hear him scoff and then a clapping sound, "Ow!"
"Shut up already." Taylor must have slap him because Steven is now holding his arm, rubbing a hand on his bicep. I laugh. "She looks hot." She hooks her arm with mine, leading us in front of the group. "Talking about hot, I'm suffocating in this temperature." Taylor adds, now talking to Belly and Conrad. "How about we get some ice cream? Life's natural AC."

We all smile and walk to one of the food trucks. I don't have any money on me but Belly insists on paying for me so I get the same as the rest of the group; lemon sorbet in a cup. We wander around the park, chaotically trying to decide which ride or game we're planning to do first while eating our ice creams. But I stay silent and I only hear them, behind me, teasing each other like an old married couple. I can see Steven at the corner of my eye trying to steal some of Taylor's sorbet, laughing. She tries to fight him off but he's taller and stronger and suddenly I'm not so hungry anymore, the cold leaving a metallic taste in my mouth.
"What happened?" Jeremiah's voice snaps me back and I turn to him, frowning. With the use of his plastic spoon, he's pointing down at my scrapped knees. It's far better than last night, the wounds are almost dried but it's still bruised around it. I have to admit, they look bad.
"I fell. On a flower pot. Don't worry, I cleaned up."
"I see you haven't changed, always so damn clumsy. I remember you constantly tripping over your own feet." He chuckles.
"I know." I roll my eyes at the thought of it. He's right though. Every time we would go play outside, I'd come back with inexplicable bruises and scratches, most of the times I didn't even knew where they came from. "It's part of my charm." I joke, nudging my shoulder with his. As we pass a garbage can, I throw my half-eaten sorbet into it. I lick the sticky residue off of my fingers and wipe the rest of it on my—on Taylor's dress.
"Things with Conrad seems better." Jere remarks and I nod, glancing at his brother walking in front of us, a small smile tugging at my lips.
"I think they are."
"I'm glad he came to his senses. What did you say to change his mind?"
"Nothing specific, really." I shrug. "I just... was there for him this time. I guess, I was lucky."
"Give yourself a little credit, Nols. Luck has nothing to do with it." He grins widely and I can't help myself but replicate it. Jeremiah has that kind of smile, bright and lighting up his whole face. "You know Con has always had a soft spot for you, maybe he just needed to be reminded of why he did."
"You don't understand how much I've missed you guys and Cousins." I feel my eyebrows scrunch to the revelation. "And Belly too." I add, quickly.
Jeremiah snorts, "And Stev—"
"Don't." I interrupt him. If he finishes this sentence, my burning cheeks are going to betray me and I won't be able to hide my feelings for Steven anymore. Not to him at least. Jeremiah's eyes widen to my prompt reaction, his lips pressed together but I still can see the smirk hidden in the corners of his mouth. He knows. Or maybe he didn't and my reaction just confirmed what he was thinking. Either way, I'm fucked.

Suddenly Belly turns around, making everyone stop as she excitedly shouts, "Who here wants to watch me beat Conrad's ass at Shoot your Shot?"
Steven sighs, "Okay, no, please not another Great Boardwalk Showdown. Last time we did that, you," He points to his sister. "ended up crying because you lost."
We all chuckle, I remember that. Belly had lost the bet she and Conrad made and had to ride the Tower of Terror. If losing hadn't made her cry enough already, the ride didn't help her case. Jeremiah, Steven and I begged Conrad to join her because us too, we're too scared to ride it with her but he kept refusing, saying that a bet was a bet. And we all knew better than to interfere in between Belly and Conrad's competitiveness.
"I was twelve, Steven." Belly deadpans and he clicks his tongue, his eyes rolling to his sister's comment.
"Yeah, could be fun." Conrad says. "Are you down, Jere?" He adds.
"Uh..." Jeremiah looks over at Belly before returning his attention to Conrad. And he wants to talk to me about Steven? The boy has constant hearts in his eyes whenever he's looking at Belly. "Hell, yeah. Let's do it!"
"Nols?" Belly turns to me. "You in?"