He got out of the car, at first, I wasn't sure if he was irritated and blowing off some steam, but to my surprise he opened the door, a small smile on his face as he motioned me to get out. Confused, I looked around, remarking on the russet-colored covered bridge a few feet away. 

"Come on," He took my hand, the small, charismatic smile still on his face. 

We walked over to the bridge, the creaking from the wood echoing from underneath our feet.  My eyes were fixated on our enveloped hand, the comfort that I was receiving from his cool grasp as he led me down the bridge, then shifting to my feet as the wood beneath me squeaked. 

"Don't worry. You're not gonna fall through." He told me. I wondered if he knew how unsteady most of Vermont's roads, constructions, and equipment were due to their age. 

"Besides, the slim chance you do fall. I promise I'll catch you." He joked. smoothly slipping his hand around my waist as he stood beside me, looking down. My breath escaped me as I felt the soft, comforting touch he offered. Never before had I felt like this with any man before, so openly honest, so safe.  

"You know. I don't know much about you." I stated, as I moved away from him. 

"What do you wanna know?" He asked, putting his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his heels. 

I unintentionally looked to the curious medallion around his neck. "Everything." His lips pursed together before his smile returned. 

Once again, he held out his hand out for me to take, leading me on the small bike trail that passed the bridge. 

"Well, for starters, I'm from Greenbriar, Ohio." He told me. 

"Hmm. I've never heard of it." I replied, then again, I didn't know much about the state of Ohio, or really any other states outside of the New England area, only what I had remembered from school, and what I had seen online. 

"Not a lot of people have. It's a small town near Clevland." 

"Was it nice there?" I asked, curious to how his upbringing was compared to mine. 

"It was for a time. Growing up, it was just my mother and I. We didn't have much, but she always made sure I had enough." He answered. 

"Any siblings." I asked, unaware of the effect that the seemingly simple question would have on him. His face sunk as he turned sorrowful. 

"I'm-I'm sorry." I apologized, not necessarily understanding the grievance. Maybe he thought I was being too nosy. Maybe I was. But I couldn't help it. I wanted to know everything I could about him. He was after all, the most intriguing man that I had ever come across. 

"No-no. I-it's okay." he mustered. 

A moment of awkward silence passed between us as we walked along the trail. I admired the foliage that surrounded us on both sides, as the leaves of various trees signaled the changing of the seasons. Red, yellow, orange, brown, the rainbow of Autumn. It was beautiful, my favorite time of the year. The enchanting scene was only highlighted by the mysterious man next to me. 

"Clara. Her name was Clara." He disclosed. 

We both stopped walked, his head remained tilted toward the ground, while I waited for him to go on, realizing that it was a touchy subject. 

"She passed away when she was seven, scarlet fever." The pain in his voice was evident as he talked about his sister. 

"I'm sorry. I-I didn't know." 

"It-it's okay. It's kinda nice to finally talk about it." He went on. 

I was afraid to push it, to cause him more sorrow, but it was he who said that he felt comfort in talking about his hardships.