10. Misunderstanding

Sunshine leaked in around the window shades as I awoke. Another bright day. I put on my glasses. 6:20 a.m. There was just enough time to see Mom off to work. I slipped into my t-shirt and overalls and went downstairs as quietly as I could. Mom was in the kitchen finishing her coffee. I greeted her, "'Mornin' Mom."

"Good morning, Trey. I hope you're getting enough sleep."

"Enough, I reckon."

"I'm glad you boys got to work with the Amish people yesterday, especially Charley. He's seems real interested in them."

"Yeah, it was interesting. I'm glad Grandpa's taking us out today. Seems I've hardly seen him since the funeral, he's been so busy with Uncle Mack."

"Well, there's been a lot to take care of and they're getting it done quickly. Life will settle down a lot for all of us next week."

"Do you think my cousins will come visit more?"

"Up to them, I suppose. I hope so. They've been good for you."

"Charley's enjoyed them too. He says he's going to miss them."

"Well, you'll have each other, and we'll be getting ready for school, and you've both got your doctor visits in the city to get done. Oh, by the way, I got your eye appointment changed to the same day as Charley goes to crippled children's clinic, next Tuesday."

"Cool, Mom! Maybe we can make a fun day of it."

"Well, son, they're sure to put those drops in your eyes and you won't see very well for a while once they're done."

"Yeah, bummer. I forgot about that. What will happen to Charley?"

"I think they'll mostly check out his braces and shoes and his crutches, to see what changes might he might need. If he needs something new he'll have to go back for them in a week or two." She glanced at her watch and said, "I've got to go. Enjoy your day. I love you."

"I love you too, Mom. 'Bye." As the sound of Mom's pickup faded I went out and got my bike fto retrieve the paper. As I started up the driveway I heard an urgent call, "Trey!" Someone seemed to be trying to get my attention without awakening the household. I stopped my bike and looked around, unsure I had heard right. "Trey!" the voice came again. "Here on the porch." I looked and there was David sitting on the porch steps. I steered my bike to the porch and said, "David, what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to breddicher Robert. I don't know which house is his, but I was sure this is where you live."

"But it's so early! Did you walk here from your house?"

"Ja, I did."

"But why?"

"Something's happened. I need to talk to breddicher Robert."

"How long did it take you to walk here? When did you leave your house?"

"I couldn't sleep and I snuck out when the first rooster crowed. Please, can you show me the breddicher's house?"

"I need to leave a note for my aunt so she'll know where I am. Nobody's up yet but me. Wait here."

I was sure I could not ride David on my handlebars – I could barely keep my own balance – so I took my bike around back and left a note on the kitchen table saying to call me at the McDougall's. I went back around the house and gestured for David to come with me. The way he hop-stepped with his crutches to gain speed told me his impairment left him a lot less disabled than Charley. As we began to walk up the drive I asked, "Can't you tell me what this is about?"