𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

My heart skipped a beat, and my unease grew as I saw him

My heart skipped a beat, and my unease grew as I saw him. "What are you doing here?"

Michael's face looked tormented as he replied, "I can't get over you, Claire. I need you by my side. I miss us, the love we shared, and the future we planned together."

His words cut through me like a knife. I had worked so hard to heal from the pain he had caused, and I couldn't believe he had the audacity to show up now, claiming to want me back.

"We're over, Michael," I said, my voice firm. "I can't be with someone who hurt me the way you did."

His expression darkened with anger. "You can't just throw away what we had!"

Anger began to simmer within me. He couldn't just waltz back into my life, thinking everything would be okay. "You ended things, Michael." I retorted, my voice growing firmer.

"I made a mistake." He snapped defensively.

"I deserve better than what you put me through," I said, trying to keep my voice from quivering. "You need to leave."

"You can't do this to me, Claire. I won't let you go," he said, his tone now menacing.

My heart pounded and I knew I had to be strong, for myself. "I'm done with you, Michael."

For a moment, he seemed taken aback, as if my defiance surprised him. His anger seemed to dissipate, replaced with a sinister gleam in his eyes.

I took a step back, trying to create some distance between us.

His expression turned calculating and instead of taking retreat, he stepped closer. "If you try to leave, Claire, I'll tell Reuben all about your little secret affairs."

"What?" My heart raced and my stomach churned. There's no way he would know.

"I'm just wondering if Reuben is aware of the fact that you have been fucking his best friend behind his back." He taunted. "I saw you leaving his car earlier."

I felt trapped, cornered with no way out. I couldn't let my brother find out this way. I had to protect myself and Dante as well. "What do you want?"

"You." He replied. "I want you, Claire."

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. I needed to think clearly, to find a solution, but his presence was suffocating me. "You can't force me to be with you. What you're asking for is not love; it's possession."

"But I love you, Claire. We can make it work this time," he pleaded. "I am willing to move along with you when you leave to university. We could start fresh."

My mind raced with memories of our tumultuous past, and I knew deep down that going back to him was not an option. As I turned to leave, he reached out and grabbed my wrist.

"Let go of me!"

I pulled my arm free from his reach, slapping him across the face.

Before I could react, his lips crashed into mine with intensity. It was a desperate attempt to reclaim what he had lost, to take control over me once again. Like grasping tight onto something that has already slipped away. His grip tightened around me, as he pulled me in closer.

I pushed against his chest, but he was persistent. "Michael!"

"Stop resisting me." He managed breathlessly.

Just then I heard footsteps approaching into the scene. Michael loosened himself from me.

"What's going on here?" Reuben queried, shifting his sight between us.

I took a moment to collect myself, grateful for my brother's timely arrival, but yet very so aware of Michael's threat weighing heavy in the air. "Reuben, it's okay."

Reuben looked at Michael with a guarded expression. "What is he doing here?"

"We were talking." I said, trying to reassure him.

"Then why isn't he talking?" He motioned towards him.

Michael's facade cracked, and a flash of irritation crossed his face. "You're just lucky your little sister is in front of all this," he retorted, "it would be a pity for her to witness the humiliation of her brother getting his block off." He winked.

Reuben's jaw tightened, and I could see the anger building in him.

Michael didn't seem intimidated. Instead, he turned his attention back to me, kissing my hand in a display of false charm. "You and I will meet again, very soon."

I felt a surge of disgust, pulling my hand away from him, no longer willing to play into his manipulative games. "I don't want anything to do with you, Michael," I said, my voice firm and unwavering.

Michael's smirk faded as he realized that I wasn't going to be swayed by his empty gestures. With a final lingering look, he turned and left, the tension dissipating as he did.

𓆩♡𓆪