𝐎𝐍𝐄

"Love

"Love. What a word?" I thought to myself.

I dragged deep and exhaled the smoke into the air, watching it disappear into a cloud that obscured in the hallway. The rich, benignant cigar scent coalesced with the sweet smell of champagne that enclosed the residual smoke inside the room.

The ache of longing to feel her echoed throughout my every thought. She felt like a chill wind trapped in the chambers of my heart. Her perfume carried the romance of the most exquisite flower bouquet, one of subtle notes of petal showers. Her soft, silk curls floating ever so gracefully above her shoulders. Her eyes were a melt of autumn tones, fending off the winter frost. Her lips - a sensual state of intoxication.

Claire. Claire. Claire. Let me love you.

I drew a final deep haul of the cigar and flung the champagne coupe across the counter.

Fuck what am I doing?  "Get it together, Dante."

I was mad. Mad at how much power she had over me. Mad at how the sound of her name brought me to my knees. That wasn't normal. Not for me. I can't describe what she's doing to me, but it's driving me insane.

I tried to convince myself that what I felt was nothing but pure lust, when what I feel is actually far from it. I choke with rage every time the thought of another man touching her crosses my mind.

I want to feel her. Touch her. Taste my name on her lips.

Focus.

I shook my head in an attempt to erase every ardent thought of her. Besides, this is not clear territory we are treading on. Regardless, she will be mine.

"Aim for the bucket, Claire

"Aim for the bucket, Claire." Reuben grunted, tucking at my hair. "God, you're such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol."

"I'm alright." I inhaled, wiping the stream of tears and makeup pouring down my face. "Dante, drive slower." I groaned, clutching onto the bucket and glancing at the rear view mirror.

Dante's eyes shifted between holding my stare and observing the road. "The car is barely moving." He noted blankly.

I sigh, leaning against the window and feeling the cool breeze of the night caress my skin. My brother, Reuben, who sat in the back seat with me offered a sympathetic pat on the back.

"You know that you should go easy on alcohol, right?" Reuben insisted. "You can't expect me to always -"

"Michael and I broke up." I interrupted.

Dante weighed his foot on the brakes and stared through the mirror discomposed.

"Well, that explains." My brother continued hesitantly.

"We're here." Dante says, lifting the handbrake and turning to face me. "Are you able to walk?"

"Sure she can." Reuben waves him off dismissively, before unbuckling both our seatbelts.

He waits for my response.

"I-I'll manage."

Reuben fidgets for the keys in his pocket before unlocking the door, as Dante retrieves my jacket from the backseat of his car.

"Dante." My brother motions to him, as we both enter the house. "Can I have a word with you?"

He watched tentatively.

"Alone." Reuben asserted. My cue to leave.

"Of course." He replied following us into the house.

・❥・・❥・・❥・

ꫝꫀꪶꫀꪀꪖ: hey, everyone. i know this chapter was short, but because i value your feedback i wanted to know what you think about the writing style, layout, coherence etc. so i can be able to improve and write closer to your likings. thank you. <3

𓆩♡𓆪