𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

I groaned as the sunlight filtered through the curtains, searing into my eyes and intensifying the throbbing ache in my head

I groaned as the sunlight filtered through the curtains, searing into my eyes and intensifying the throbbing ache in my head. With a sigh, I rolled over and squinted at the clock, realizing it was already late morning. Memories of last night came rushing back, and I winced at the recollection of downing one too many drinks at the pub. The consequences of my actions were about to unfold, and I wasn't sure I was ready to face them.

As I reached for my phone, a sense of dread gnawed at my stomach. Sure enough, there they were - the dreaded drunk texts. I cringed as I read my slurred love confessions sent to none other than Claire, my best friend's sister. The same Claire I was supposed to meet tonight at Mae's birthday party.

"Dante, you fucking moron." I muttered to myself, racking my brain for the exact words I had sent. Why did I think it was a good idea to profess my feelings for Claire, especially after knowing she only wanted something casual?

Gathering my resolve, I grabbed my phone and composed an apology message to Claire, hoping that I could salvage some semblance of dignity.

I knew the truth deep down. Claire had been clear from the beginning that she wasn't looking for anything serious. She had even mentioned it that night on the verandah. But somehow, my heart stubbornly refused to listen. I had hoped that with time, she might change her mind, or that maybe, just maybe, she felt something more for me too. Last night's reckless messages were a clear indication of just how much I was fooling myself.

With a heavy sigh, I sat up and rubbed my temples, trying to clear my foggy mind. The task at hand was clear - I needed to get a grip on my emotions. I couldn't afford to lose Claire or risk complicating our dynamic with unrequited feelings. I had to remind myself that tonight was Mae's birthday party, not a romantic rendezvous. Claire was my best friend's sister, and that was the role she wanted to play in my life.

As the hours ticked by, I tried my best to distract myself, to drown out the conflicting emotions with mundane tasks. I kept reminding myself that Claire didn't want anything more than a casual relationship, and I had to respect that if I wanted to keep her in my life.

The music thumped in the background as I stood amidst the crowd at Mae's birthday party

The music thumped in the background as I stood amidst the crowd at Mae's birthday party. Conversations and laughter surrounded me, but my mind was elsewhere. I couldn't shake off the events of the previous night - the drunken love confessions from Dante and the apologetic messages he sent this morning. As much as I tried to brush it off, those confessions stirred something deep within me.

I watched Dante from afar, as he interacted with our friends, his charm and humor drawing everyone in. He had no idea how captivating he was, and it only made me fall for him harder. But I couldn't let myself get carried away with false hope. The alcohol might have loosened his tongue, but it didn't necessarily mean he meant what he said.

As I replayed his apologetic messages in my mind, I felt a pang of guilt. I knew he was trying to set things right, to make sure I didn't misunderstand or feel uncomfortable around him. What complicated matters further was Mae's secret crush on Dante. She had no idea about my feelings, and I intended to keep it that way. It wouldn't be fair to her, nor would it be fair to Dante, who had no clue about this web of emotions surrounding him.

I took a deep breath and tried to push away my inner turmoil, forcing a smile and engaging in small talk with other party-goers. I didn't want anyone to notice my internal struggle. Mae approached me, her eyes glancing over at Dante, and she let out a dreamy sigh. My heart sank a little more.

"Oh, Claire," Mae said, her voice soft with infatuation, "I feel as if Dante and I were made for each other, don't you think?"

I forced a smile and nodded, my heart aching with a mix of happiness for Mae's joy and sadness for my own unrequited feelings. "Yes," I replied, trying to sound genuine.

"Tonight is the night." She winked, before returning to greet her new guests.

As the night progressed, I tried my best to avoid Dante, fearing that my emotions might betray me in his presence. Yet, fate had other plans in store for us.

The room seemed to blur around me as Dante made his way through the crowd, his eyes locked on mine. My heart pounded in my chest, and I nervously tugged at the hem of my dress, feeling self-conscious under his intense gaze.

"Claire," he said softly, his voice sending shivers down my spine. "You look absolutely beautiful tonight."

"Thank you," I managed to reply, my voice barely above a whisper. I tried to muster a smile, but my emotions were getting the better of me, and my heart was racing.

Dante stepped closer, the space between us shrinking. "Are you trying to avoid me forever?"

His words were like a punch to the gut, and I felt my cheeks flush with a mixture of embarrassment and delight. The room around us seemed to fade away, leaving just the two of us in this charged moment.

"Dante, I can't -"

But before I could say anything more, Dante gently placed a finger on my lips, silencing me. My heart raced as I looked into his eyes, trying to decipher the intensity of his gaze.

"I want you to leave with me," he whispered, his voice barely audible above the party's background noise.

And with that, he leaned in and kissed me.

The world around us seemed to fade away as the kiss enveloped us in its intensity. His lips were soft and tender against mine, igniting a fire within me that I had tried so hard to suppress.

But the euphoria was short-lived as the reality of the situation sank in. Guilt washed over me, and I pulled away from the kiss, my heart torn between the feelings I had for Dante and the loyalty I had for Mae.

As I looked around, I saw Mae standing there, her eyes wide with shock and hurt. My heart sank even further, and I knew that I had just caused irreparable damage to our friendship.

"I'm so sorry," I stammered, my voice shaking. "I didn't mean for this to happen."

But before I could say anything more, Mae turned and hurriedly left the room, tears welling up in her eyes. I wanted to run after her, to explain, to apologize, but I was frozen in place, torn between my feelings for Dante and my guilt over hurting Mae.

I should take back the casual relationship promise with Dante.

Without another word, I rushed after Mae, leaving Dante behind, my heart in turmoil. I didn't know what the future held for any of us, but one thing was certain—this night had changed everything.

𓆩♡𓆪