𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

I found myself wide awake in the middle of the night, my heart pounding as I stared at my phone screen

I found myself wide awake in the middle of the night, my heart pounding as I stared at my phone screen. The soft glow illuminated my anxious face as I read and reread the drunken love confession. My mind was a whirlwind of emotions, trying to process what he had said and what it meant.

I have just broken up with Michael. I know this is wrong. Maybe I'm only clasping onto Dante out of comfort. If we indulge in anything with him, it should strictly be casual as we promised. But what about Mae?

My fingers trembled as I typed a reply, carefully choosing my words, without betraying myself as well. I didn't want to hurt him or ruin what we have, but his feelings were a complication I hadn't anticipated. I hit send, hoping my response would be kind enough for him to read once he sobers up.

Just as I let out a sigh of relief, I heard a distant, slurred voice calling my name. "Claaaaiiire... Claire, are you there?" It was Dante, and he was clearly intoxicated. Panic surged through me, realizing he was standing outside my window. I rushed to the curtains and cautiously peeked outside, finding him swaying slightly, looking up at my window with bleary eyes.

"Dante, what are you doing here?" I whispered urgently, trying to keep my voice steady despite the mix of emotions inside me.

"I need to see you, Claire," he replied with a hint of desperation in his voice. "We can't keep doing this anymore."

My heart sank, knowing this was far from the right time to have this conversation. "You need to go home, Dante," I pleaded. "You're drunk, and my brother can't find out about any of this."

I struggled to keep my composure. "Dante, please," I implored. "We can't do this now. It's not the right time or place. Let's talk about it tomorrow when you're sober."

He seemed torn, but after a moment, he nodded, albeit unsteadily. "Okay, Claire. I'll go. But promise me we'll talk tomorrow."

I nodded, my heart aching at the complexity of the situation. "Yes, we'll talk tomorrow. Just go home now, and we'll figure everything out then."

Reluctantly, Dante stumbled away from the window and into the night. I watched him until he disappeared from sight before closing the curtains, leaning against the wall, and letting out a deep breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

My mind was a jumble of conflicting emotions. I cared for Dante, a bit more than just my brother's best friend, and his confession had stirred something inside me that I had suppressed for so long. But I also knew that pursuing anything serious now would be a risky gamble, one that could jeopardize not only my relationship with my brother but also Dante's friendship.

A casual relationship, I reminded myself.

As I lay back in bed, my phone buzzed with another text from Dante, likely sent before he showed up at my window. I decided not to read it right away. Instead, I tried to quiet my racing mind and get some rest, without thoughts of Dante or Mae. Dante and Mae.

𓆩♡𓆪