XI.A Stroke of bad Luck

As Brad was becoming busy providing for their family., Janet was busy at home caring for the family. Janette would feel bad at times because Brad's priorities seem in complete disarray.Brad was unperturbed with his health issues. He was smoking more than 2 packs of cigarettes per day which is more than he used to. His sleep wake cycle was erratic, He was treading on thin ice as he committed to go regularly for 48 hours straight duty on separate hospitals usually a Caloocan hospital and a Hospital in Pasay at times.to the southern outskirts of Metro Manila. Although he takes catnaps during his stay at the hospital s, an anesthesiologist work is stressful.The least he could do was ask a nurse to monitor his blood pressure regularly

"Is everything okay?," worriedly asks Janette."Don't you feel anything bad?"

"Don't worry I can handle this, anyway I steal some catnaps in between procedures"and I sleep soundly at night, he replied convincingly.
He continued," Ah! well, I'm doing all of this for all of us." Brad continued."But Brad, we care about you more than the money,I am getting worried about your health..Anesthesiologists and surgeons usually kid around how stressful surgical procedures are for them. in the operating room, if anything bad happens during a procedure, blame easilygoes either to the surgeon or the anesthesiologist'. It's either the surgeon's or the anesthesiologist's fault, people  think. Add Brad's heavy smoking and unhealthy eating habits.One scorchinglyy hot Sunday after coming home from his regular hectic routine Brad while having a conversation with everybody in the house suddenly slumped tothe couch, sideways to his left side, drooling.

"Brad! "What is happening to you?"Are you alright?screamed Janette, Brad struggled mightily to answer so as to calm the panicking Janette but his words were stuttered and slurred; Chiqui and Chanda stood there frozen unsure of what is happening to their dad. As Janette grasped Brad's face , and noticed that he was drooling and his face was different, The left side of Brad's face was drooping.
Janet was shaking and slapping Brad , pleading him. to stay awake."Oh No! I think you''ve just had a stroke. Please fight it and stay awake. As Janette checked Brad's BP in the high 200's. Janette decided to bring Brad to the nearest hospital inspite of Brad's opposition to the idea.Brad was trying to stand up but his muscles were inexplicably weak."My Lord ! Please save me and my family." mumbled Brad during a commotion. Itwas the last thing Brad remembered as neighbors came pouring into their home, they came helping and struggled mightily to carry him and put him inside a vehicle.The next thing, Brad remembered when he opened his eyes were the sensation  of strange pain bothon his back between his shoulder blades and as if someone was twisting his left arm.Brad's left arm and elbow were clutched infont of his chest" Brad was trying to pull it down but it was spastic What's happening! asked to a lady in white uniform. "Sir,please calm down.You are in the emergency room of Divine Hope Hospital. You were brought here because you had a stroke at home."

Brad felt his world came tumbling down. At the ICU, Brad was still complaining about the dull aching pain in between his shoulder blades and Brad was feeling itchy all over. Brad asked Jovelyn, Janette's niece who was at the bedside where Janette was, " She's outside the room arranging and settling necessary documents for your hospital admission.Brad asked Jovy to softly press on his upper back and scratch itchy parts in his back
"Aren't you going to give me any pain medications," Brad said adamantly gazing at the nurses in their station ."We are sorry sir, but the attending physician has not ordered any pain meds for you., He wants your conscious at all times I want to talk to the Attending physician!" Brad felt Jovy's scratching and pressure on his upper back. relieved some of the pain and itchiness. With the slight relief of the bothersome itchiness and dull backache Brad dozed off. Later that evening, Brad woke to a male voice.

" Good evening Doctor Kee, I am your attending physician Dr. Sonny Concepcion, a nephrologist . doc Sonny was a small. Moreno Ilocano doctor. He seemed kind and very learned. He was very mild-mannered and respectful despite an obvious successful practice and a He would address Brad as "Doctor". Doc Sonny was explaining the laboratory findings of Brad but Brad's mind was in a stuporous state listening but would just nod.He was weighing the gravity of the  situation.Doc Sonny suggested the possibility of undergoing dialysis treatment considering. the elevated levels of  Brad's kidney function tests Brad won't agree. "If that's your  decision on, then let's hope your lab results improve sir."  " You will need to have your monthly monitoring of your kidney function tests and   monthly consult and assessment with me after you are discharged from the hospital Brad's only concern at that point in time was " What Now?" Can I and my family survive this?As Doc Sonny was detailing to Janette, who had their 2 girls beside her.Brad's possible recovery time, "I have to refer Doctor Brad to a physiatrist so he could recover his physical functioning like walking and other daily activities the soonest
As Doctor Sonny was about to bade farewell, Chanda, the ever curious youngling anxiously asked the doctor. "Sir, will my daddy be alright again?""
"Well, we're doing our best here, kiddo, the rest is up to Him! Pointing up. But daddy has to do his part, also. Chanda was the youngest of the Kee daughters. She was touted as mom and dad's favorite because of her bubbly attitude Mom's favorite bunso that was what her mom fondly called her. Chiqui was given the name because like mom, they had the similar rosy and robust cheeks the old folks love to squeeze, though Chiqui had his father's eyes and mouth shape observed Janette Chanda was also more emotionally attached to Brad because their physical features bore uncanny resemblance. Chanda was obviously more distraught of her dad's condition.