Chapter Twelve - Calming His Raging Storm

Dumbledore had summoned for the Potter twins again, another memory that needed to be looked out. Emma wasn't particularly thrilled nor was she happy when he had asked how her relationship was going with Mr. Riddle. It was awkward especially when Harry gave her a sidewards glare. Once they made their way in front of the pensieve, Harry was the first to lower his head as she followed closely behind. The silvery bright cloud like liquid swirling around the pair. 

They could vaguely hear Slughorn's voice coming through the memory. "More knowledgeable than half the staff, you are." he said. It looked like one of his Slug club dinners only there was no food being served and it was all boys, no girls in sight. There was a young teen sitting at the table giving him a sly smile. She would recognize those familiar like brown hues anywhere. Tom Riddle. 

"Sir..is it true that Professor Merrythought is retiring?" he asked as Slughorn picked up a slice of pineapple answering the calm and collected boy "Now, Tom. I couldn't tell you if I knew, could I? By the way, thank you for the pineapple. You're quite right, it is my favorite. But how did you know?" he questions leaning forward in his chair to look at Tom. His face pulled into a smug smirk, the kind of smirk of someone keeping a secret. 

"Intuition." they both smile at one another before Slughorn looks to the side towards a clock.

"Oh, gracious. Is it that time already? Off you go boys or Professor Dippet will have us all in detention." he dismisses the boys.

Tom touched the hourglass that Harry had made a comment about when they stayed after to talk with Slughorn on their first slug club dinner party. It made a ting causing Slughorn to turn to see the boy still in his office. "Look sharp, Tom. Don't want to be caught out of bed after hours." He advises.

Tom tilts his head slightly staying silent for a moment. "Is something on your mind, Tom?" he began walking around Slughorn's office looking around the room in deep thought. 

"Yes, sir. You see, I couldn't think of anyone else to go to." He stops to make eye contact with Slughorn. "The other professors well, they're not like you. They might misunderstand." 

Slughorn chuckles at him "Go on" he says persuading him to continue. 

"I was in the library the other night....in the Restricted Section." He takes slow steps closer to Slughorn. "And I read something rather odd about a bit of rare magic. And I thought, perhaps, you could illuminate me. It's called, as I understand it...." as soon as Tom goes to speak the words become mumbled. Emma watched as Slughorn's face drops in concern. 

"I beg your pardon?" Slughorn asks him. "I don't know anything about such things. And If I did, I wouldn't tell you! Now get out of here at once and don't let me ever catch you mentioning it again!" Slughorn was shouting as he moved closer to Tom trying to make him leave his office. The memory fades as the twins come up gasping.

She looks over to Dumbledore trying to read his facial expressions. "Confused? I'd be surprised if you weren't" he tells the twins. 

"Well, I don't understand. What happened?" Harry asked "Why did his voice mumble what he read about?" Emma added. 

"This is perhaps, the most important memory I've collected." Dumbledore walks closer to the twins his voice filled with an urgency of importance. "It is also a lie." 

Emma's brow furrows trying to understand. "This memory has been tampered with by the same person whose memory it is. Our old friend, Professor Slughorn." The old man states. 

Emma couldn't help wondering if he might be protecting Voldemort? Or maybe he was ashamed for not going to someone the moment he was told whatever it is Tom read in the Restricted Section. "But why would he tamper with his own memory?" Harry asked.