Chapter 18: Someone Dangerous

Start from the beginning

"Last night... Crowley, she had Crowley in a trap... But he was able to tell me where he'd hidden the First Blade... And I used it on her..." You couldn't quite put your finger on it, but in his voice, there was a hint of shame to it and you wondered wether there was more to the story than just Dean killing the demon.

You'd never seen Dean kill before. Sam either. You'd never even seen them in a fight, only ever the aftermath of one. When they would come home with cuts and bruises on their face. The odd dislocation of a bone or swelling of an appendage. So you had no idea how they used their fists or weapons, or even if they were any good at it. But as you knew it was essentially their careers, so they must've been.

You tried to imagine what it might've looked like. To see Dean killing something that looked like another human. Abaddon as you knew it, was wearing a woman's meat suit. Had Dean plunged the First Blade where her heart had been? Had he cut off her head like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones.

"It's probably not the news you wanna hear in the middle of the night..." Dean chuckled, slightly awkward. "I just... I know you've been looking at the files still. And... Well, I wanted to see a friendly face..."

You moved your hand onto his right leg, gently squeezing just above his knee. "It's a bit dark for that." Trying to make the mood a little lighter. But your brow furrowed. "When was the last time you slept?.. Properly?"

Dean huffed at that. "Never."

You removed his arm from around your back and then shuffled over to the side more, patting the mattress two times. "Lie down with me... That way I know you'll sleep a little."

"You sure?" Dean hesitated.

But you had already laid back down yourself onto your side so you could see him and he followed suit, shuffling down onto his back. He reached his arm over to you and pulled you closer to him, your head snuggling into his shoulder. "Night Dean..." You whispered.

Dean didn't respond with any words, instead he kissed your head in the way you had grown accustomed to, months ago, before he and Sam were always away.

This was definitely new territory, but he certainly didn't seem to mind and neither did you. If anything it calmed you, knowing he was close and you hoped that perhaps your presence would do the same for him.

You fell asleep quickly after that.

When you awoke the next morning, you couldn't deny you were disappointed to find that the other side of your bed was now empty. You reached for your phone hoping that at the very least, he'd sent you something, anything to feed the new void you now felt in your heart. And there waiting for you, was a new message,

- Cass needed us in Missouri. -

It wasn't the message you were hoping for.

*****

You had been up late, reading in the library, once again working on your abduction case after weeks of helping Dean search for Abaddon. But the heavy door of the bunker slamming shut and footsteps trailing down the metal stairs pulled you away from the table you occupied and you stood up to greet your friends.

But it wasn't Sam and Dean who found you in the library. It was the angel, Castiel. You recognised him from the Ghostfacers YouTube video instantly. "Hello." His voice was gruff as he continued to address you by your full name.

Sam and Dean had stayed in the war room and you could hear them arguing. Something about apologies and Sam being an infant. You sighed. They hadn't been getting along most of the time recently, at least when you had seen them that was, and this was clearly going to be another one of those times.