Madness

Lean's Point of View

I stared at my laptop blankly. I have been trying to grasp the right words for this report that I am going to submit to the Board by this Friday and yet I cannot form any idea in my head. I looked at the papers with irritation.

Napatingin ako sa orasan. It's only 2 PM. I have 4 more hours to think about this report. And I only have tomorrow to finish this one. Or they will fry me alive in front of the Board.

I heard the warning knock. Maya-maya pa sumungaw na si Chris. He lifted a brow when he saw me.

"Bad day?"

I drew a deep breath. Ibinalik ko sa folder ang mga papel. Sumandal ako sa swivel chair. "What do you think?"

Napakunot ang noo nito na sinilip ang nasa mesa ko. "O akala ko ba sabi mo kagabi i re-repaso yan? What happened?" takang sabi nito.

Napatiim ang labi ko and closed my eyes instead.

I was.

Until I chatted with Alessa.

And I forgot about my work. And when she logged out, I felt disappointed that I decided to sleep. And failed. I spent 3 hours or more just thinking about her.

I cursed.

This is insane.

"Hey! Siguro may ka date ka kagabi!" nakangising sabi ni Chris na sinisipat ako.

I opened my eyes at kumunot ang noo. "Sabay tayong umuwi kagabi."

He shrugged his shoulder. "Malay ko ba. Kung saan ka dumaan. Hey, how about the dating site that I recommended to you? Are you on it?"

"No," tanggi ko. Gusto kong mapangiwi sa pagsisinungaling. I'll die first before he discovered that I logged on last night and was crazy with a complete stranger that I failed to finish my work and have a proper sleep!

He shrugged his shoulder. "Sabagay, mostly hindi naman sila ang nasa picture. And minsan ang iba don may mga asawa na. Nagpapalipas lang ng oras."

Napakurap ako. Matagal akong nakatanga dito. Tila nagising ang utak ko.

"A-Asawa?" shit, I have never asked her if she is single. I just assumed that she is. Stupid!

Naupo ito sa upuan and look at me. "Remember Eric? Yung cousin ko, he was very into that dating site kasi brokenhearted sa first girlfriend. May nakilala naman and she is really beautiful. Parang model. A total head-turner. And then nalaman niya she is married. Nasa abroad pala ang asawa! But since they were into each other already, they had an illicit affair. My cousin cannot let her go but when her husband came back, iniwan siya. He went to States after that."

I felt my mouth dry. The mere fact, the mere thought that Alessa is committed or worse, married to someone else, pakiramdam ko pinapangapusan na ako ng hininga.

Shit.

What's happening to me? I tried to focus on my report. Pero sa malas, my head is turning sideways. Like I was in a trance.

Married.

Not her.

Not that woman who caught my interest. At hindi ko alam ano ang meron siya bakit ako nagkakaganito.

"Are you okay?"

I looked at Chris. Nagtataka ang mukha niya.

"Y-Yes. Why?" I tried to appear normal. She is just a chat! Nothing more.