Maddox POV: Hate Me, Passionately

Start from the beginning

Somehow though, I didn't know which persona I was supposed to use in front of Aimee. Her avid dislike of my very existence made the need for a personality change absolutely obsolete, but at the same time who was I supposed to be then? So, even among the amusement I felt when she started bickering with me, there was annoyance hidden behind a rehearsed smile.

The way she didn't hide her opinion or dislike of me from the very first moment, made me realize how much of myself I was actually hiding.

The way her eyes challenged me daily, felt like she was directly calling me out for my cowardice.

Her absolute honesty made me see how deep my dishonesty truly went.

In reality, the only person I'd ever felt comfortable around — like I could be myself — was with my grams. The only person still alive, that is.

I clenched my jaw, swallowing hard against the heavy burden of memories still fresh in my mind. I'd always judged my dad for how much he changed after mom died but there was truth in that saying an apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Once I'd lost her, I lost myself — in more ways than one.

Finding your way back once you lost who you were, was harder than people realized.

"Going out again?" Aimee muttered from the couch, complete disinterest in her voice

"Going out again?" Aimee muttered from the couch, complete disinterest in her voice. I wasn't even sure why she'd asked.

"Yup, Friday's are club days." I could swear I saw her scribble something down when I said that. But, that was probably just in my head. It was kind of infuriating, how I seemed to notice every little thing about her.

"You wanna come? Haven't really left the apartment since you moved in." Other than for class that is. It didn't really seem like she had much of a social life.Thought, even before asking it I knew what the answer would be.

Aimee snorted, and looked at me with her head tilted. I just raised an eyebrow and then her eyes widened, "Oh, you're serious? No way, that sounds like a nightmare. I spend my Friday's bonding with the couch."

I shook my head and shrugged, throwing one last glance at the mirror, and fixing up my hair before I moved to the front door.

"Hey, are you planning on having company when you come back?" There was a distinct note of annoyance in her voice, and I felt my lips twitch into a smile before I managed to straighten my face.

"Probably. Why, you jealous?" I knew she wasn't, but her reactions were priceless. Her eyes bulged out, her cheeks turned red, fury flashed across those green orbs.

"Ew, in your dreams, you lothario." Aimee grimaced, brows furrowing deeply, and I found myself struggling not to smile, yet again.

"That's for sure," I commented, winked at her, and watched her face flush an even deeper red, her eyes going impossibly wide. "See ya'." I decided to dip before we could get into another argument.