8. Home sweet home

We arrive in fifth harbour at dusk and are met with a black carriage protected by a guard at each corner, a man comes out of the carriage, he looks like the typical person who'd force themselves on me at the Menagerie, "Now, where is my Sun Summoner?" he asks, this must be Dreesen then. 

"She got away." Kaz states, "I hired you to do a job, Brekker, and you failed me. Failure requires swift punishment. Kill them." the Guards come at us in formation and point the guns at us, "(Y/n) now." Kaz commands, I call the flame and erect a wall of orange flame as high as all of us, the bullets should be vaporised if they try to shoot, "An inferni." 

"Brekker here's a new deal, you give me her and I'll let you and your crew go alive." I look at Kaz with pleading eyes, "No, she already belongs to Tante Heleen of the Menagerie, she was lended to me to help, she failed me so I'm bringing her back to her mistress." he states, it sounds so much like the truth that I want to throw up, "Lower your weapons." he commands his guards, "Get the bird back to her cage then." he says and lets us pass, I drop the wall and am led by Kaz, Jesper and Inej to the Menagerie, time to clear the books then.

~

"Weapons." The guard commands, Inej puts her three knives, Sankta Alina and the two I gave her to the guard reluctantly, Jesper gives his guns to the guard as well after kissing them goodbye, we try to continue through but are stopped. "Cane." he gestures to Kaz, "You're kidding?" The Guard pulls out a gun, Kaz puts his hands up in surrender and gives over his cane. He presents cuffs to me, "Grisha need their hands tied." I glare at him, "Be lucky she doesn't want to give you over for a pretty penny to some other slaver, yet." he gives a sadistic grin, I present my hands and let the cuffs be shackled to my wrists. We're ushered through and I see Heleen smiling, "Hello my darlings, how is my Little Phoenix now she's back in her cage?" I don't say a word, Kaz gives over the headpiece he recieved from Alina on her desk, "This should cover both of their indentures." he states. She opens her book of what we owe her and seems absolutely enraged, "Inej can you take off my mask please." I ask, she unclips the mask from my head and it puts it in my hand, I give her a nod in gratitude. Heleen looks up and looks repulsed, she takes the headpiece, "You two are free of me, Little Lynx." she looks at Inej then to me, "Little Phoenix, get out." she commands, we leave immediately after getting our weapons and my hands are unclasped, "Welcome to the Dregs." 

We walk back to the slat and are met by Per Haskell, All the dregs also welcome us all back, they keep shouting Kaz's name singing his praises, Per Haskell looks enraged by this  "No Sun Summoner, Kaz, but you did give me an Inferni. She'll be useful in these trying times." he states and walks away. "Now you have the option to get the Dregs tattoo, do you want it?" Jesper asks the both of us, I look at my wrist where the peacock of the Menagerie ruins the skin there, "I don't want to be branded as anyone's ever again." I say, Inej nods in agreement with me, "Lets get the birds removed then." 

I remove the Peacock my own way by burning my wrist, Inej chooses the official, less painful way. "DRINKS ON ME TO CELEBRATE OUR RETURN." Inej screams, her clear wrist risen in the air, this is met by thunderous applause and howls all across the place. Kaz climbs the stairs to his office alone, why would he not celebrate all of this happiness with everyone hear? I ask for a full bottle of rum and go to Kaz's office and knock on the door. "Come in." he shouts after a few minutes. I enter and he sits down at his desk, "I brought rum." I say, he looks at me and gestures for me to sit opposite him.

I pour both him and me a glass and take a sip of mine, he downs his, "Enjoying your freedom?"

"Yes, thank you. Why are you not down there celebrating with them?" I ask, "I prefer the silence, you should go back down there have fun before we get back to work." he suggests, "this is fun, apparently drinking with the famed bastard of the barrel has positives." I say, he pours another glass, "Really, drinking rum with the man nicknamed Dirtyhands is more fun than drinking and celebrating with your bestfriend and others?"

"Oh when you put it like that-" I down my drink."then I must leave right away, before I get beaten to death in my intoxicated state." I get up and take a step towards the door, "No." I smirk and turn round, "Sit down or I will." I do, "I will remind you that I can engulf you in flames so hot there will be nothing left of you for people to find." he just smirks and drinks another glass, "Be careful this is some strong shit." I warn him, "That's why I love it." 

"Oh no, Kruge will be so hurt." I say, drinking another glass, he just laughs, we're like that for hours, just making jokes and drinking, the noise downstairs stopping hours ago, until, "You once asked me what was I? I want to tell you now." I say, "I'm a devil born at the harbour after the  boy died." Wait, what? "What do you mean, you died?" Kaz seems to sober up at that point, "Nothing, nothing at all, get out, get some sleep."

"Kaz." I reach for him but he recoils for a moment I see true fear spread across his face, "get out." he says, I stay put, "NOW." 

I run out and go to my shared room with Inej who is fast asleep. I lay down on my bed, sleep never comes, I wonder what Kaz went through to make him like this, to recoil and be so afraid at just a simple touch.