1.Welcome to the Dregs

'Inej, what the hell?' I say while walking back with her.

'what?' She fires back, 'You said the meeting was tomorrow, I could've completely flunked that and then he probably wouldn't have even considered me' I complain. 'Well, you didn't and I thought if you had the chance to be free you'd be your best and I was right' she says making a really good argument, one that I can't argue with.

We get close to the menagerie and we clasp our hands together in fear, reminding each other, this place is the epitome of all we fear; the men who use and abuse us, captivity, Heleen. With that fear another one springs forth in my mind and I let go of her hand and stop. 'Inej, what if Kaz can't convince your boss?' I ask, her face looks like she's about to explode with laughter, '(y/n), Kaz is relentless and Per Haskell owes Kaz the dregs newfound notoriety, despite the fact he won't admit it, I promise you will be set free, and if Per Haskell doesn't set you free on his own, I will persuade him in my own way' she says reassuring me. I reach the entrance and hug Inej as I walk back inside my cage.

~

The next 3 months are excruciating. I'm still used by the men of Ketterdam nightly. I still crawl out of my skin and wash myself for 40 minutes afterwards to get their stench off me.

For once though I have hope, and that hope is in a man called Kaz Brekker. I train with Inej watching, every time when I have time off. Tonight, she said a good friend of hers is coming from the dregs, I'm really excited to meet him. She also said Kaz is coming to discuss things with me.

I go to the same rooftop that me and Inej always go to and I find Kaz Inej and a tall Zemini - Kaelish man with guns at his sides, this must be their friend.

'Inej, you liar, she's more stunning than you said she was' the man complains, I blush at his words. 'Hi, it's nice to meet you, my name is (Y/n), I'm glad to meet more friends of Inej' I say.

'Jesper Fahey, soon to be your new favourite person' he replies, and I can't help but laugh when Inej punches his side in jest.

I turn my head to Kaz, his face remains cold unlike his friends, 'Inej said you have news' I state, he looks up 'Yes I do, and you'll like it,we can pay part of your indenture to Heleen to make it so you can leave Ketterdam for a period of time - ' he pauses and I smile 'WAIT REALLY!' I shout overcome with Joy. 'Patience, he won't continue to pay it unless you prove yourself. And just your luck, we've been recruited for a job.' He continues.

'What is the job?' I ask, 'We are to find and capture alive, a ravkan-shu girl called Alina Starkov, she's valuable, and is apparently a sun summoner' I notice Inej say a quick prayer when he says this. 'That sounds like suicide' I snap back. 'It pays 1,000,000 Kruge enough to finish paying Heleen off for both Inej and you' My heart is filled with worry and hope simultaneously and its weird. 'Well it looks like I have 3 choices: freedom, death, or a lifetime of hell' I say. 'And which one do you choose?' Jesper asks spontaneously 'freedom or death of course' I say with a smirk. He gets up and does a twirl 'ALRIGHT, DRINKS ON KAZ AT THE CROW CLUB TO CELEBRATE OUR NEW DREG' he shouts loud enough for all of Kerch to hear. we all laugh except Kaz who just smirks.

~

Kaz did actually end up paying for a round before going up to his office to plan the heist of the supposed sun summoner, but only because Jesper begged him. I sit at the bar with Jesper and Inej. Jesper drinks alot, Inej has one shot, I don't drink. I have to keep my guard up, so many people are here, everyone is a threat, even Jesper and Kaz. Inej I can trust, but I don't know Jesper and Kaz, yes Kaz has helped me in ways I can't begin to describe by helping me be free but we've only discussed business, to me, he is my way to freedom and to him, I am his help on a job to earn money, an investment. And jesper I only just met so we barely know each other.