VII

TAKING ONE LOOK AT LANYING, WHO HAD SAT UP AND LOOKED AROUND THE ROOM OWLISHLY Kasper turned to Wylan and Jesper who observed the events that had unfolded from the corner of the Emerald Palace. "Get her to Black Veil and Wylan, try to find out what poison was used.

Lanying's voice was weak as she muttered. "Withering Petal."

Wylan's eyes widened and he muttered. "Oh Saints."

"Is it bad?" Jesper asked as he supported Lanying.

Wylan spoke hesitantly. "Um...not exactly, but it can be if the antidote isn't delivered." Wylan paused. "Of course, I can make the antidote... it's a part of chemistry after all. I'll have to make a trip to my old tutor at Ketterdam University."

Kasper nodded. "Then go Wylan." He turned to Jesper. "Take her to Black Veil Jesper."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When Kasper Brekker entered the room in the crypt, his eyes immediately scanned the area. His heart sank as he saw Lanying Kir-Zhengyi slumped against the wall, a blanket wrapped around her shaking frame.

Lanying weakly looked in his direction, he could see her eyes were still glassy and distant. "Kasper. I'll be fine. Wylan's given me the antidote." She murmured sensing rather than seeing the distress that Kasper felt.

"Are you sure?" Kasper asked his voice betraying his emotion.

Lanying stood up weakly and walked unsteadily to where Kasper stood, awkwardly in the middle of the doorway. She met his gaze, clouded golden eyes staring at his dark brown ones. "You told Pekka Rollins that 'the trick is not to love anything' as it leads to 'someone you'd sacrifice everything for and it makes you weak.' So why pray tell would you care for me? After all, love is a weakness no? I am a weakness and loving me would be an even greater one for you." Lanying said, her voice quiet.

Kasper sighed. "I do care for you. More than I could care to admit, Lanying. Its just that if anyone was to know, you could be used against me. A weakness that could break me."

Lanying huffed. "Kasper, love is not a weakness. It's a strength. Though for the life of me neither you or your brother can understand that."

"What do you mean?" Kasper asked not comprehending what Lanying meant.

"Kaz hops around his feelings for Inej and can't seem to stop pining after her and yet considers his feelings for her as a weakness. You are very much the same."

"You don't understand, Lanying. To survive, I cannot have weaknesses. Nothing for anyone to use against me." Kasper said stepping away from Lanying.

"Kasper, you've spent your life building walls, shielding yourself from the pain and vulnerability that comes with love because you have loved and lost. You wish not to feel the pain of love, but you are only hurting yourself more." Lanying stepped back from Kasper and her voice was even softer now. "If anything...I have more to lose than you do. I must watch as those I love pass on and I am doomed to wait until I can join them again. Grisha live longer than non-Grisha  and I would be doomed to watch everyone I love depart this world long before me."

Kasper stared at the girl before him and she continued. "Two worlds make a universe Kasper. I've chosen my world, you must decide if you want to choose yours too." With that, Lanying pushed past Kasper and into the crypt seeking out Wylan for a tonic that could help the headache she now had.

Kasper stood in the doorway pondering what Lanying had just told him. His mind raced. He'd always believed that love would be his downfall, that it would expose his weaknesses to the world. But perhaps, Lanying was right, he could find the strength to face those fears.