How Far We'll Go

...

Third Person P.O.V

Ari grunts in annoyance, hurling another piece of wood at the sand in front of him with a huff.

He folds his arms, his leg bouncing as he crosses it over his other.

"I don't know why he doesn't listen. I mean... If there's no fish here, we could try out there!" Ari rants, (Y/N) sighing as she sits besides him.

She leans over, grabbing a section of his curly hair and stretching it as far as it could go as Ari raises a brow, side-glancing at her.

"Your hair's getting long," (Y/N) observes, lightly tugging on the strands and letting it go as he chuckles.

Ari smiles with a raised brow, feeling his face heat up slightly. "Is that a good thing?"

"I'll let you decide." She responds with a shrug, taking the rest of the wood he was picking apart and tossing it.

"Hmm," Ari hums with a playful roll of his eyes before sighing once more, shaking his head. "I don't get why they were so upset."

"Well..." (M/N) clears her throat, approaching with Sinna and climbing over the tree. "You did say you wanted to... go beyond the reef in front of them."

"Standing on a boat." Sinna adds, sitting on the other side of Ari.

"She didn't mean to just go beyond the reef because we want to be on the ocean," Ari replies, angrily gesturing towards the glistening waters.

"But you both still do." Sinna responds, glancing between the two before sighing softly. "They're just hard on you because--"

"Because my father doesn't get me and hers is just trying to protect her." Ari interrupts, (M/N) shaking her head.

"They were you once." (M/N) speaks softly, her eyes holding sadness as she looks to the sky. "Drawn to the ocean... Longing to sail further..."

...

A younger Tui, (F/N), and their other closest friend snuck through the night, swiping a boat.

"They took a canoe..." Sinna continues.

The three sail out onto the sea, Tui steering, (F/N) on the bow and their friend handling the mast.

"They crossed the reef."

Lightning flashes across the sky suddenly, a horrible storm picking up and raining down on them as the waves thrash around.

"And found an unforgiving sea. Waves like mountains..."

The boat was destroyed, the young men falling into the sea. Tui's eyes widen as a large piece of wood slams against (F/N), knocking him out.

"Their best friend begged to be on that boat with them..."

Tui swims after (F/N), grabbing him before noticing their other friend drifting deeper and deeper into the depths of the sea.

"And Ari's father could only save my (F/N)."

Tui cries out after their friend, quickly swimming up to the surface with (F/N) over his shoulder.

...

Ari looks to the side of (Y/N)'s face as she continues to watch her mother, her eyebrows furrowed in sadness.

"They're hoping... The same thing won't happen to you two."

"They want to save you." Sinna agrees, Ari looking away as (M/N) side hugs (Y/N). "Somtimes... Who we wish we were, what we wish we could do... It's just not meant to be." She sighs, gently brushing Ari's hair from his face.