Chapter 12: Fate

Chapter 12: Fate

"...What?" I asked. He got kidnapped by spirits? "That's a thing?"

—--------------------------------------------

Leah nodded frantically up and down with tears in her eyes still. "Please, you have to go rescue him! You have to hurry before the spirits do something bad to him."

Alice giggled, "So you could say that he might get... Spirited Away?" I just facepalmed when she said that. That was one of the movies we watched recently at her sleepover, as Alice was obsessed with it apparently. Leah clearly did not get the reference as she just sent a small glare at Alice for not taking her seriously, while Rosalie just scoffed at her sister's inside joke.

"Alice, I also love that movie, but now is not the time," I said to her, and she just sent me a pout. I turned back towards Leah. "Listen, Leah, I'm not exactly sure how I'll be able to even help if Sam really did get Spirited Away." Alice giggled again, but I continued, "I'm more of a punch problems until they go away kind of girl. I'm not the Avatar; I don't have the ability to travel into the spirit world..."

"He did not get Spirited Away," Leah said angrily. "The spirits possessed his body and forced him to change into a wolf, then he ran off into the forest and hasn't been seen since yesterday! Kent Nelson said since Sam is the only current wolf shifter in our tribe who's fully awakened, he's vital for the ritual to be completed. Please, Kara, you need to find him and bring him back!" She explained to me. Okay, well, at least that sounded much more realistic and manageable.

I'm not really skilled in tracking, though. Sam could be anywhere in a forest that spanned hundreds of miles. Yes, I have super smell, but I've never really trained with it or even used it that much lately. That's one ability I'm glad I can turn off because I can only imagine the horror if the vampires are always smelling whenever some teenager farts in a crowded classroom...

I turned towards Rosalie and Alice. "Are either of you any good at tracking? FYI, werewolves smell like rotten garbage to vampires..."

"Oh well, doesn't this just sound like a fun time," Rosalie said sarcastically. "...I'm out!" She added on. Rosalie turned to walk away before I stopped her.

"You can't be out, Rosalie; you're a superhero now," I said with a laugh, and she just sent me a glare. "Superheroes don't quit when the going gets smelly." Alice giggled at that, and even Leah, who was still noticeably upset, found that funny too, and she let out a small laugh.

"Anyway, same question as before," I asked, "are either of you good at tracking?" Both of them shook their heads in the negative. Apparently, they'd always left the tracking up to the male vampires in the coven while they just stayed back and reaped the rewards whenever they led them to some forest critters to drink from. Tracking apparently involved getting down and dirty as you had to put your nose to the ground, literally, quite often.

"We need to get Jasper," Alice said.

"Jasper? Why would we need him?" I asked.

"Out of our whole family, Jasper is the best tracker. If Sam has truly run off as a wolf, then Jasper will be able to track him down. No problem!" She said happily as she bragged about her husband's abilities. Rosalie also confirmed that to be the truth.

"Fine, you all wait here. I'll go get him," I said to the three of them.

"What? He's Alice's husband. Why are you going to get him?" Rosalie asked, confused.

I just gave her a deadpan stare in return for her question. "It's because every time one of you guys enters the cafeteria, all eyes are immediately drawn to you, and people don't stop staring for at least 2 minutes straight."